This is the Ruman cattle ranch on Michigan Bar Road. It has been here for a very long time. The house on the right is fairly new - maybe 35 years.
And this is the old house. The road goes right through Ruman's barnyard, so they appreciate it if people drive slow. They probably shoot you if you drive fast. (I would.)
The Ruman ranch is adjacent to the Cosumnes River, the same river than runs past my house. It's probably 12 miles upstream. This is the one-lane bridge across the river. On the far left is a gauge that measures the depth of the water.
When I was a kid, Mr. Ruman would call his sister who lived across the road from us, and let her know if the river had gotten high enough to worry about down here. These days I can check on the water level online. It takes about an hour for flood water to travel from Ruman's to our house, just enough time to get out if we have to.
This is the road beyond the river. I haven't driven it much, but I used to ride my horse on it a lot.
Actually I think it was faster on horseback, especially when we turned the horses back toward home. Here is an open area through cattle pastures.
I didn't see another car on the whole trip, which is less than 10 miles. The road was pretty torn up wherever the rain water gathers.
Why is this? Because every idiot who owns a 4-Wheel Drive vehicle has to go out there and drive like a fool. I ran into 7 or 8 places like this. It must really irritate the cattle people who have to drive out there to check their cows. The county only grades the road once a year, in the late spring.
At the end of the road, on a paved section, is the little, very old, "town" of Latrobe.
This is a story my grandfather told me about Latrobe Road, which hasn't really changed since he was a young man.
My grandfather, Earl, was driving for Amador Stage Lines. When he started, I think he actually drove a team of horses, but eventually he drove an open-sided vehicle that was like a station wagon. One winter he had a car full of people to take to Sacramento from Amador County. He'd heard that the road through Sloughhouse was flooded, so he took the back way, Latrobe Road.
Out in the middle of nowhere, the car broke an axle. My grandfather had to leave his passengers and the car and walk 5 miles or more back to Latrobe. It took quite a while to get there, round up parts and another vehicle to transport the people, and get back to the passengers. He was worried about them because it was a cold, windy day.
When he topped the last little hill, it was night. He could see a big fire near the car. The passengers were having a great time. One of them was transporting a case of red wine from D'Agostini vineyards. They opened a few bottles and had knocked down some fenceposts to make a bonfire. My grandfather was griped with them, he didn't approve of drinking.
I always think of that when I'm on Latrobe Road.
So, my destination this time was another 5 miles past Latrobe to Max's house. A few of us got together to meet friends who had come down from Nevada. What fun we had talking about the "good old days" when we were horse show brats. We also celebrated Carolyn's birthday.
![]() |
| Carolyn, Henry, Carlotta |








8 comments:
Funny story and a fabulous photo of your friends!
Jane x
Thanks for putting a name and a story on the ranch on Michigan Bar Road. The first time I stumbled on it, I actually stopped and considered for a few seconds whether this was maybe a private road I was on and I might get shot just for driving through there, period. But I was coming from the south and could see the bridge, so I went ahead. Slowly, of course.
I've been over Latrobe Road the whole length a number of times; it was a place to take friends to show them how far out of town you could get around here without being very far out of town. I loved the sweeping view of miles and miles of miles and miles off to the south as the road climbed. But there were some rocky spots at the time that I slowed to walking speed in the Ranger to get through. I never saw anybody else on the road, either. Thanks for the breakdown story; I never drove the road without thinking about breaking down up there.
I liked coming out at the corner of Latrobe and Latrobe in Latrobe. I guess they're both Latrobe Road because they go to Latrobe. But I'm surprised no county bureaucrat has stepped in to save the masses from limitless confusion by renaming one or the other. Actually, they're working on it at the far north end....
KenB
Excellent ditty - felt like i was riding shot gun - thanks doll - peace
Looks very dry Jan. I don't think you need to worry about flooding. (Says he, fingers crossed.)
I must say I am amazed at the lack of trees.
I love trees you see. :)
I have always thought of California as - acres of fertile land - grapes and more grapes, still more grapes, corn, oranges and grapefruits. (and grapes.)
They must all need some rainfall at least?
And what makes those gourds & pumpkins swell up?
And the grapes!
Hey, I just love all this great Californian red wine!
Cheers....Bernard.
ps Thanks for the surprise pressy in with the cookies.
I have put them to use and it will be the subject of my next blog. All choccy and Pnut cookies have been gratefully consumed. The others are in the freezer at present - but not for long! :)
Uncle B, it IS very dry here right now. It hasn't rained since I had to drive through the snow to get to Reno back in November. Usually by this time there is grass on the grazing lands. The Indians called the fall grass "First Grass." It's not very nutritious, but it gives the cows something to do. Just before spring we get "Second Grass," which is actually a growth spurt of the grass that sprouted in the fall. That's what makes the cows fat. This year the first grass came up a little early and has died back. So everyone is feeding their animals hay. That gets pretty expensive if you have a couple hundred cows.
Here's the story behind the area with no trees:
Sloughhouse is right at the edge of the foothills, in a riparian valley. We have big native oaks and, if the land wasn't cultivated, this would be a lush, brushy jungle. The foothills just beyond us are covered with liveoaks, smaller, evergreen oak trees. Just beyond them, at about 500 feet elevation, is a strip about 2 miles wide that runs about 50 miles long, from Hwy. 50 through Amador County that is bare. That's because it there is a clay deposit under it, and very little groundwater. There's nothing there to support even an oak tree. In some places the clay has been mined commercially, though not along Latrobe Rd.
Once you reach the small town of Latrobe, the oak trees start again, along with a few low altitude pines.
So never fear, that's just a small strip of unproductive land. Actually it's been great grazing land for generations. When I was a kid there was a sheep camp back up on Latrobe Road. Basque sheepherders lived out there in trailers, with no electricity. Someone tried to make a housing development there a few years ago, and there were people who were actually dumb enough to buy the property and try to build houses there. None of them are looking very good, a couple seem to be uninhabited.
Ken, I bypassed the lower, rocky part of the road. It's the pretty part, but I wasn't wanting take my dear little car through that area. Also, there are always reports in the Murieta paper about shots coming from that area. If you'll go with me, we can ride out that way, but I'm not going alone.
How lovely to see your countryside and read about your trip. I do think Shingle springs is a great name!
Happy New Year Jan!
Since I know so very little about your area of California I enjoyed this trip and your memories! I also enjoyed your post about your chickens. I enjoy chickens as you know.
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
I love the stories. Even though I am far away and never even heard of these places, it all still has the familiarity of a story told well, one we can relate to on a deep level.
Post a Comment