Friday, August 31, 2012

Asymmetry


This post is mostly for the ladies. I doubt men pay much attention to these things. It's for sure they don't have to wear anything that's asymmetrical, unless the dog chewed one pants leg off, or they caught a sleeve on some barbed wire.

I have been seeing quite a few fashions like this. It doesn't bother me to see someone else wearing them, but I can't. I have one top that's sort of like the red one above. I constantly try to pull the short side down. It just feels like something is wrong.

I think assymetry looks like someone made a mistake. Or maybe didn't care enough to do a good job.

13 comments:

Helsie said...

I think the idea is to draw the eye downwards thus elongating the overall line of the item creating a slimming effect.
Hey, some of us need all the help we can get !!!!

Jan Blawat said...

Hmmm, Helsie, do we really want to drag the eye downwards? That would be assymmetry, not exactly what I need for a slimming effect.

Leenie said...

I agree. It looks like a mistake.

Katherine Plumer said...

I totally agree Jan! As a symmetry nerd, I can't wear that kind of thing! The blue skirt, however, I could wear (and I actually like that style!), because although it's not the same length all the way around, it does appear to still be symmetrical.

ErinFromIowa said...

I have three daughters. Who are proportionately sized small, medium and large. I am a retired professional seamstress and I raised my girls with the mindset that size does not matter. It is fit, comfort and personal style that make a gals wardrobe. What I wanted to make a point on is my large size gal has quite a few pieces in this style. So she must think it works.

Bernard said...

All my shirts and jackets are asymmetrical.
They all have buttons on the right and button-holes on the left. I like it that way. :)

Helsie said...

Ha, ha ! Guess the pointy bit might draw your eye to your feet and bypass you know what !!!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Normally the world of fashion is something I happily ignore but speaking as a male observer I would just like to say that I have noticed "assymetrical" ladies' fashion and, to use an American expression, I think "it sucks". Who ever first dreamt up these imbalanced outfits needs shooting. They just look stupid.

Jan Blawat said...

I see that the artists among us appreciate symmetry. Also the engineer (Uncle B, you crack me up).

YP, we here in the U.S. would happily dress more like your queen if we could just find a place that sells those clothes. And those hats. I just saw a picture of her wearing a hoodie, though, so I'm afraid she might soon look like the rest of us.

Erin, do you still sew for your girls? My mom used to make all my clothes when I was young. I learned to sew, too, but my favorite part is looking at material and buying it. A couple of years ago I gave most of it to friends who are quilters, I just kept 6 or 8 pieces that I like to look at.

Katherine, don't those hangy-down hems feel like spiders on your legs?

Practical Parsimony said...

I love assymetry in some cases. I still have a beautiful dress that has a skirt made from four silk scarves. The four points the diagonally-placed scarves formed were pretty and dangerous. It is a party dress. The first time I wore it, I stepped on the points as I got up from the table to go dance. Since I felt the tug on the skirt, I would give in and stumble/stagger to get off my dress. I looked very drunk even though I did not drink at all. That was hard to live down with friends. They teased me relentllessly that night and thereafter. My husband was not very amused that I looked drunk.

ErinFromIowa said...

I now sew on special occasions. The planets, my mood and inspiration all have to be aligned. ;)

Terry and Linda said...

ME TOO!!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Bernard said...

Have you ever wondered why men's clothes have buttons on the right? I did, so I looked it up. It appears that when buttons were first invented, they were very expensive and were only used on clothes worn by the rich. As the majority on people were right handed, it was easier to put buttons on the right and holes on the left.
As wealthy ladies were dressed by their maids, dress-makers put the buttons on the maid's right - the left of the garment.
How true this is I do not know, but I'll go with it. :)
Cheers....B