Sunday, September 30, 2012

One More Day to Aloha

We spent a lot of time reading reviews about the best places to eat. We had 3 different books and compared the reviews carefully. But we only ate out twice. The first time was breakfast somewhere between Lihue and Poipu. Neva said "turn here." So I did. It was good. Guess who took my picture at breakfast? (Hint, it's fuzzy and my head is cut off.)

Jan, photo by Neva
We didn't eat out again until our last night on the island. We had finally found a restaurant in the books that we wanted to try. When I called to make a reservation, I discovered it wasn't open on Sunday evenings. So we missed out. When we checked into the Kauai Beach Resort, they took away our car and parked it somewhere out in the boonies. So we just had dinner at the hotel. It was very, very good, a pleasant surprise. I had salmon, Neva had a New York steak, and neat freak Char gnawed her way through some yummy looking ribs. We probably wouldn't have done better elsewhere.

The groceries we bought on our first day in Princeville lasted us all week. As we left for the airport we fed the last bits to the chickens.

We missed doing a couple of things that we'd talked about. We never made it to a fabric store. I didn't get to buy any material to put away in my box of projects that I'll never get to. We didn't make it to a botanical garden. That was my fault, the reviews of all the gardens said there were areas that were quite steep. I could picture myself at the bottom of a path, having rolled all the way down after I tripped on my own feet. And I wouldn't even have been able to see Dr. Mike at the hospital because he was off on his honeymoon.

The gardens were also expensive and the reviews were mixed. So we just enjoyed looking at plants and flowers everywhere we drove.

This place was right across the road from two of the botanical gardens. It's called Spouting Horn.

Spouting Horn
This is a blowhole. When the ocean water hits the shore, it travels up a lava tube and out through the small spout opening. It sometimes blows as high as 50 feet. Three things about this place are remarkable. First, this blowhole makes a moaning (some say farting) sound when the water rushes through it. Second, there was a bigger blowhole just a few feet away that had been much more impressive, but in the early plantation days it was dynamited because it blew water on the sugar cane that was growing near it. All that's left is a big hole where the water gurgles around. And third, I find it remarkable that this is one of the most dangerous places on the island. There is a lovely fence that keeps people at a safe distance, and you can see everything from there. But some fools crawl through and try to stand next to the blowhole to have their picture taken. This does not always work well.

There was one place that we hadn't planned to see. On our way back to Lihue we passed a sign for "Kauai Coffee Company." I swung off the road before we could even vote about it, a cup of coffee sounded good right then. It was a lucky move. We got to the farm just as a guided tour was leaving (on flat ground). We got to walk through the rows of coffee trees that are loaded with berries right now. We got all our questions about growing and making coffee answered. And then we got to taste 20 different coffees. Neva and Char also tasted the coffee ice cream.

I had Kona coffee last year when we were on the big island. I like Kauai coffee better, it's not acidic but it has a bolder flavor. My two favorites are Kauai Blue Mountain and a chocolate coconut flavored blend. I want my own coffee tree. And a cacao tree. I'll plant them in the back yard near the avocado tree and maybe they won't notice they're in Northern California.

After the coffee place, we drove down to see the Menehune fish pond. The Hawaiians dug a pond next to the river 1000 years ago and diverted water into it to raise fish. At the "out" end was a wooden screen to keep the fish in. The wall between the river and the pond is 900 feet long and 5 feet high. Legend is that it was built in one night. Obviously government projects in those days were easier to accomplish.

Menehune Fish Pond
Char and Neva at the fish pond
We continued down the curvy little narrow road to Lihue. We came around the last turn to have this staring at us.

What the heck is that?
It looked like it was sitting on solid ground, maybe a really ugly hotel? When we got next to it, we could see it was a ship. Here's a view of it (on the left just in front of the mountains) from the other side of Kalapaki Bay.


None of us has any desire to go on a cruise. Too many people, too confining, too much food, and my own personal reason...too big a target for a terrorist.

We stopped at Hilo Hattie's in Lihue and looked at all the stuff. I don't think we bought anything there, but it's a great place to look. Then we went back up the coast to the Kauai Beach Resort.

The next morning we were up early and ready to go to the airport to fly home. Neva spent some time on the balcony enjoying her last morning view of the island.

Neva
I spent my last hour checking us in online, on my laptop. We had no printer and I wasn't sure what we'd do with no eTickets. It was not a problem. I dropped Char and Neva off with our luggage in front of the Hawaiian terminal, then took off to drop off the car. By the time I got back one of the Hawaiian employees had taken care of everything.

It was a very long, boring flight home. Boring is good when you're flying. We landed in Sacramento at 10:30. Char's husband Bob picked us up and in no time at all we were back in the middle of traffic flying by at 70 mph, weaving in and out, big trucks hogging the road. Home sweet home.

7 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

Okay, I lived vicariously, taking a trip to Hawaii that I always longed for. A blogger from Illinois grows tobacco there. You should be able to grow it where you live. Do you smoke? The picture of you that your friend took was funny since it was just like you said she took pictures. The fact that you ate at older places off the beaten path made the trip seem more authentic. You are certainly right--boring is good on an airplane. I am terrifed to fly but have never avoided it. I liked all the pictures and descriptions. Welcome home.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I guess some middle aged American ladies on vacation in the islands will see little more than the beach and the hotel but with your companions you clearly saw a lot and visited with healthy inquisitiveness. Now back to reality. I hope that The Blawat ranch wasn't trashed when Bob hosted the wild party that got out of hand and only ended when the cops arrived.

Jane and Chris said...

Not one photo of you wearing a grass skirt and a coconut bra! How do we really know you were in the islands?
Jane x

Nancy said...

Loved your Hawaiian blogging and the memories it brought up for me. NEXT time, I highly recommend the fabric shop. It's really amazing, and yes, you might come home with some yardage. I did about 10 years ago, used some for making aprons, placemats and napkins for mother-in-law, and still have some waiting for me.

Nancy said...

Loved your Hawaiian blogging and the memories it brought up for me. NEXT time, I highly recommend the fabric shop. It's really amazing, and yes, you might come home with some yardage. I did about 10 years ago, used some for making aprons, placemats and napkins for mother-in-law, and still have some waiting for me.

Gail Jones said...

Hum, if I had known that you were going to Kauai I'd have given you a couple of must do's - which would have included the coffee plantation, Moir Gardens (fabulous, free and level), and the Atherton or McBryde Gardens - both of which are beautiful! Atherton had a walking tour and paved paths with very few spots where you'd have to think about your footing. McBryde is a self guided tour, so you pick and choose the path. It is a longer walk, but you can choose not to do the parts that are steep. Kauai is our favorite island - well worth seeing more than once....

Terry and Linda said...

How much fun! I have always thought I would like to see Hawaii. Thanks for the trip!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com