Thursday, September 13, 2012

Well Howdy, Russkis!


Hello. Are you Russian? Speak up, what do you want?

Other bloggers have been wondering why they have such a large Russian following, though they've never had any comments from that group. I checked my blog stats this morning and discovered that I also have a lot of "hits" from there. So, of course, I googled "why is my blog getting so many hits from russia."

Please note that the hits from Russia almost equal the pageviews on Linux. Very few humans on Earth use Linux as an operating system for their home computers. And that seems to be a clue.

Here are some answers from Straightdope.com:

Do you have any "comments" section of your blog turned off/denied? I had a photo library/blog inundated by spam comments posting their URLs for pharm/shoes/etc. crap. I had to turn off the comments because it got so bad. Although, most of my hits were coming from China. There is an entire spam industry in Russia.

To a first approximation, if its on the internet, and its from Russia or Eastern Europe, its some sort of scam.

Based on limited information: it's a spambot, probably designed to post forum spam, and it's hitting your blog by mistake (or for reconnaissance). Its only side effect there is to leave the referrers you're seeing.

I know many of my fellow bloggers have had to enable spam verification to keep their blogs clean.

Are the parasites of the world going to suck us all dry?

6 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

The one time I clicked on a ru sit and was sorry. So, I discount those in a count. However, I only get two or so each day.

Bernard said...

You should be so lucky Jan, to get people reading your really interesting blog from so far afield, across t'other side of the world.
Now I, poor me, I struggle to, (present company excluded), get anyone reading my ramblings, within 50 miles of -
'Blog-End'. (in the Shire)
Have a big {hug} from B.

Jan Blawat said...

PP, I shall follow your fine example. So far (knock on wood) I've never been spammed on my blog.

Uncle B, alas! Your blog is too sophisticated for the Russkis. Or maybe they don't understand your jokes. Or maybe if you called yourself Comrade Bernardski? I know for a fact you have readers from Australia, that's more than 50 miles away. And besides, I think all your readers are lovely ladies, which makes it even better if they live nearby. Hugs to you, too.

Practical Parsimony said...

I hate the word verification, so I do not have that. However, I do moderate because people on selling sites compliment my blog in a vague way that could apply to any blog, and then they include a link to their site. So, I just delete those. I get two or three a day.

Practical Parsimony said...

Bernard,
I don't think of selling sites as being interested in my site except for their advertising. They can pay me to advertise on my site!

Ivan said...

Hello my Blawaat Jan,
This is Ivan over here. I am in speaking to you from Rostov in Russia. I am big boss in cannibal factory and will liking your blog interesting. Have you want love time with Russian man? I treat you nicey nicey. Send me dollar and I coming to you in Oct.
Loving,
Ivan