The first thing on my list this time of year is always:
1. Put the Christmas decorations away.
Until I do that, I can't do anything else because I'm a linear thinker and have to complete one task before I start another. Maybe if my first resolution was to stop being a linear thinker, I'd get more accomplished. Oh well. I don't know how to rearrange the rocks in my head anyway.
In this past week, I did manage to take down most of the stuff and stack it on the dining room table. I left all the poinsettia decorations up, though. I like them, I'm going to leave them up as long as my live poinsettias still have leaves. I also left the red lights on the mantle. I like those, too. And red is a Valentine's color, so I can pretend that's why they're there. I may be a linear thinker, but I have creative excuses.
I have to get the junk off the dining room table TODAY, because I need to start washing chickens tomorrow. I'm taking 15 of them to a chicken show soon, and I put them in cages on the dining room table to dry. This is an ultimatum to myself. If I say it in front of all of you, you're going to keep me on task, right?
Here are some other things on my 2013 "To Do" list, not in any particular order.
- Hire a plumber to put in a new drain for the washing machine. A hole in the ground right outside the window is no longer sufficient, wash water is bubbling up. I have been using this Third World solution for a drain for 35 years. Time to upgrade.
- Haul off the trash piles.
- Install a new water storage tank for the pump. The old one is older than I am and is starting to rust away.
- Paint the kitchen and dining room. Best to wait on that until after chicken show season.
- Get some gravel to fill in the holes in the driveway.
- Get the danged white truck fixed!!!!
- Finish trapping the feral cats.
- Have a new roof put on the garage and car port. In doing that, it might also be possible to create an area for show birds under the car port.
- Repair the fence in the side yard.
- Repair the horse pasture fence and move the horse shed out of the way so I can see the mountains.
- Buy and stack some fire wood.
Here's the great news:
Yay! I've caught 6 of the 8 cats. Angela was the last one, though. Since then I've just been catching the same ones over and over again. At SPCA they said once a cat is trapped it isn't likely to go back into a trap. They weren't talking about some of the kitties I have here who are short on brains and long on appetite. I've taken a vacation from trapping cats for the moment.
Yay!! I hired a wonderful fellow who showed up yesterday, loaded up all the trash piles, and hauled them away. Check this task off the list.
Yay!!! Nick Grimshaw and his dad hauled the white truck out of here at the beginning of the week. Nick drove it back here yesterday. They're working on some small things now, but it looks like the truck is operable. Now I have a new task for my "To Do" list...dealing with DMV to try to get the truck registered again.
I've called a local fellow to come look at the garage roof.
Just because I don't blog every day doesn't mean I'm doing nothing.
OK, so some days I do next to nothing because first I have to put away the Christmas stuff.
6 comments:
Wow! You've made a very strong start with all of those. I noticed most of them sounded like they will cost you money... in fact by the end of them you will have gone through quite a bit of it I think.
Suggestion : Use the wood from the shed in the horse paddock for fire wood !!!
You have made quite a dent in your "to do" list already.
With food in a trap, cats put away the memory of being trapped. Yes, they will chance a trap to get food. Ask me how I know.
I am trying to picture wet, caged chickens drying on the dining room table.
Hey, you're way ahead of me. You made a list and checked a bunch off. Not to mention cats in traps. (sounds like a Dr. Seuss book). Christmas decorations. Every December I want them. Every January I wonder--WHY?
lol to the vision of washed chickens drying on the dining room table.
I leave up lights...I like blue light for January with snowmen for decorations and red lights for Valentines and then Green for March. After that I've made it to spring and can relax my attachment to the lights!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com
Of all of you to do list, I think the least palatable one will be dealing with the DMV to re-license the truck, especially if you forgot to non-op it. One thing they are good at is adding up late fees and interet. It could come to more than the truck is worth, and then you will probably have to smog it, and that is more $$$$.
Hooking up the sink to the septic might also be more trouble that it is worth. If you get a contractor in there, he will want to get a permit, and that opens up all sorts of potential problems with Sac County, most of which will cost $$$$ to make go away.
The rest of the list doesn't look too bad, but it would be nice to see how you come out (or don't) with the two above.
I'm also very impressed with your activity.
And like some others, I smiled at
"I have to get the junk off the dining room table TODAY, because I need to start washing chickens tomorrow."
I can't think of any other place I would read that.
If there were more of me (I wish there were about five mes), one of them just started work on an art exhibition entitled 'Washing chickens at the dining room table'.
Post a Comment