I'm really sorry for everyone who lives where it snowed and was nasty cold this week. Here in California we're trying to enjoy every minute of spring while it lasts. In my yard the lilacs and the orange tree are both in full blossom. You can get high on the fragrance. I think it affected Biscuit.
I had to revive him. I wafted a can of stinky sardines under his nose and he perked up.
The ranunculas (above) and the peonies (below) are glorious, but fading fast.
It's going to be rough when summer comes next week and there isn't enough water in the soil to carry the plants very far. My yard will be fine, I have plenty of water, but out in the foothills the native oaks will be hunkering down and waiting it out.
The long range weather forecasters are talking "El Niño" again, so next spring might find us digging out from winter flooding. You can just never tell what changes are in store.
Beyond weather, there have been some local changes recently. My grandmother's old house next door has been sold and will be fixed up.
The house is well-built and sturdy. But even here in California, where we don't have kudzu, it doesn't take long for nature to reclaim its space. This old house was once the store and post office for the town of Cosumne. This is what the room that was used as a store looks like today.
The counter is original. The whole house is pretty much in its original shape. Which is good in some ways and bad in others. For one thing, the electrical setup will have to be completely redone. I don't think there are any light switches on the walls, all the lights have pull cords. They're dangling down so far because the ceilings are very high.
This is the bedroom door. In some ways, it's a piece of art. Crackle art.
There isn't much left in the house, but Jim from the Corn Stand did find this interesting piece. Anyone know what it is?
Do you put it on top of your car and pretend to be a Highway Patrolman? Is it a giant panic button?
There was a major change in my house this week, too. Bob moved out to his own apartment.
Anna is going to be Bob's roommate. They moved in her car and Bob's truck.
It didn't take them very long. I only cried for an hour after they left.








8 comments:
I am so pleased to hear that Bob and his lovely Anna are embarking on a true life together. It must be hard for you - because he's nearly always been around. Perhaps if you had a lifesize cardboard cutout of Bob, you wouldn't feel his absence so much. You could even put it on wheels and move it around the house. Just a thought.
I think a life size cut out of Bob is a great idea!
Mitzi
The trees and flowers are lovely here, too. But, you seem to have more things for longer that bloom. If we even have a semi-drought, my hundred-year oak will have to be watered. Last year, I could tell it suffered. I guess for all my pain, I will haul water in my wagon just to give it a sip.
Bob's moving is sad. My son lived at home for two years after he started teaching to save for a down payment for his house. He has been in his house for almost twenty years, so it must be paid for or almost so by now.
I KNOW you were not wishing for a sooner departure, but I think it is a mistake for parents to expect children fresh from hs to be self-supporting. You gave him framework to be financially stable.
How far is he from you now?
Your yard is just lovely! You will enjoy your space...believe me!
✿♥ღLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
Looks like Bob and Anna are all set with those big smiles. Luckily you have a full and busy life and he's not gone far.
You have Wesley to keep you entertained too !!
I do realize he lived at home to go to school, so I was not referring to your expecting him to go too soon.
YP, I still have enough of Bob's stuff in my way to remind me of him. A lifesize cutout would be fun, but I'd have one made of him when he was 12 years old. That was the best time.
PP, he's about 18 miles away. I only go in that direction when I have jury duty. I'm in the opposite direction from his work, but he'll need to come here once in a while to use the washer and to get his cat fix.
Helsie, I left 3 eggs on the counter last night. Wesley made scrambled eggs with them.
No one has a guess about the big red button thing?
Heh, heh. At first glance the kitty photo looked like you had hung Biscuit by his tail from a fence. An unusual piece of Cat Deco. The old store looks intriguing. Not gonna say what I thought of when I saw that red light.
Post a Comment