Chuck is not my cat. He belongs to everyone; everyone who lives in the area and shops at Murieta Plaza. He is "Chuck the Plaza cat."
Chuck was found almost 20 years ago behind the Ace Hardware in the little Plaza shopping centre at Rancho Murieta. He was captured then by Jerry Golsong, who worked at the hardware store. For 12 years the cat was a fixture at the store, usually sleeping on the checkout counter.
When the hardware store was sold, the new owners made a place for the cat. Golsong, who no longer worked there, came back often and visited his buddy. But the cat moved his headquarters to a real estate office, where he has been royally treated.
Over the years the entire shopping center has been his home. He has his own Facebook page. Here is one of the comments there: "Chuck is such an amazing community cat. I have seen him over the past 12 years curled up on the counter at Ace Hardware, loafing around, sleeping and soliciting love at [the real estate office], strolling around the center checking out his home territory and just generally adding a little elegance and class to the whole place."
A couple of weeks ago I ran into Chuck outside Plaza Foods, the grocery store.
The small dog in the background was tied. Chuck would wait for someone to come out of the store, then dash in through the door before it closed. He almost appeared to be thumbing his nose at the dog. As I sat in my car, Chuck made it through the door at least 3 times, and each time he was gently carried back out by one of the employees.
Then I read in the local paper that Chuck has been going downhill. His age has finally caught up with him. When I went to the store this week, Chuck was in a comfy bed right outside the door.
I'm sure he's there because that's where he wants to be. I know he's being watched and cared for, and taken back into the real estate office at night. He's getting a little thin, but he's still a pampered fellow.
Meanwhile, people going in and out of the store often bend down and scratch the old boy's ears and say goodbye to him. I did. And then I cried all the way home, even though this isn't a sad thing at all.
It's just what I do.
Colostrum vs. Collagen: Which One Should You Take?
-
Colostrum and collagen offer unique and synergistic benefits. Although I
prefer one overall, adding both to your regimen can offer the best of both
worlds.
38 minutes ago
5 comments:
And I cried reading this...
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
It's sad for sure because we see ourselves in these animals.
Very nice post Jan.
I agree that we see ourselves in our animals, One Fly. But I thought about that, and I'll bet there are some old folks who are dying who would enjoy sitting and greeting their friends for one last time instead of being pushed away and forgotten in a facility somewhere.
By the way, I see one of those dumb thing where you have to type something to prove you're not a robot. I did not ask for that, I'll have to figure out how to remove it. I don't care if you're a robot, as long as you can think for yourself.
That is an amazing story, Jan. What a great community to care for this cat for so long. I am sure that he will be remembered long after he passes. Maybe you guys should get a petition started to call his place, Chuck's Mall!
There is a cat who took up residence in a local tire store. There is a brush on the counter so that people who come in can brush the cat who loves to be brushed. If anyone stand near his brush, he jumps up and lies near the brush.
Out in the country there was a huge collie-like dog who hung around a country store. His owners finally moved away, so he just stayed at the store and people fed him, customers and the store owner. Then, the store closed. The dog remained. He never had shelter that I know of. But, people came by and fed him. One day he was not there. I cried and stopped at the next business about two miles down the road. Yes, the dog had died. I cried again.
I am glad Chuck finally got to come indoors.
Post a Comment