Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Weekend Crew


If you ever worked for a newspaper, or for a quality type shop, or as an editor, you must wonder – as I do – who is on duty on the internet on the weekend. I'm thinking maybe a 12 year old boy.

The only way a headline like the one above would have made it to print at any place I ever worked is if a smartass typesetter did it on purpose and snuck it in.

I don't think many people who dabble at internet news are smart enough to even be called smartasses.


3 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

Well said!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Yorkshire Pudding said...

If we could get horses with hoovers on their feet, it would cut down on housework. No electricity required either. When not vacuuming it could just stand still and be a clothes horse. Only trouble is I don't know if shops sell disposable horse-sized diapers (nappies). They would need to be made from very tough material.

rhymeswithplague said...

I have heard a spate of misplaced modifiers in the news lately. Someone called a shooter a "former disgruntled employee" when "disgruntled former employee" would have been more accurate. Other examples slip my mind at the moment, but I was responsible for one myself several years ago when I walked into the men's furnishings department at Macy's and told the clerk I wanted to buy a black man's umbrella. I knew at once that what I should have said was a man's black umbrella.

We editors pick up on things that other people miss entirely.