I was coming back from Costco this morning and spied a fellow selling strawberries along the highway. Look at these babies!

These were not grown locally, the local berries are still black from the freeze we had. But California is a very looooong state. The growing season in the south is a lot earlier than ours.
Of course, I’m always curious about these things, so I asked the nice Hispanic fellow who was selling the berries, “Where were these grown?”
“Djess.” He said.
For those of you who may not speak Spanglish, this means, “I can say ‘yes’ instead of ‘si,’ but that’s the only English I know, and I’m not understanding a word you say.” Oh well. When it’s the other way around and someone asks me a question in Spanish, I sometimes just say “si.”
I discovered something about the strawberries when I got them home. The cats are nuts for them. Velcro, who has previously limited her enthusiasm for produce to Sloughhouse Corn, was up on the table, rubbing on the box.
“Yay!” she says, “Jan brought me good stuff!”

I moved the box and turned my back on it for a minute. George jumped up on the counter, gazing fondly at the berries.

When he started rubbing his head IN the berries, I put them in the outside refrigerator.
What is it with these weird cats? Whenever we’ve had strawberry shortcake before, it was the whipped cream they wanted. Charley will even come running at the sound of the sputtering can. I sliced a berry to give them a taste, but they weren’t interested in EATING it, only in rolling around in it.
I’m glad they aren’t dogs, dogs roll in nasty stuff. I wouldn’t want to eat food that dogs were compelled to roll in.
I’m eating these berries, though. Cats or no cats.
5 comments:
Oh what gorgeous-looking strawberries! (I'm glad your cats are as weird as ours, too - clearly it's a cat characteristic!)
The time I saw a cat roll ecstatically in food, was when she got a hunk of sea bass. It was embarrassing to watch. So my guess is your cats' superior sense of smell is picking up composted fish fertilizer. Enjoy your strawberry shortcake!
M
Wow! You wait 'till Foody sees those on Monday. She'll be on the next flight over.
I'm not a great strawberry eater, except for those little alpine strawberries that seem to grow wild in my garden.
They are not only lovely, they are tasty too. I ate them straight out of the basket, no shortcake, no whipped cream. I can eat lots of strawberries, they're not as high carb as most fruit, and have a lot of fiber. Which is good because I'd eat a lot of them anyway.
The only other thing I've seen a cat roll in is celery tops. Velcro likes celery tops better than fresh catnip (which I have a patch of outside). And Gollie sometimes rolls on Bob's shoes. That's pretty close to composted fish fertilizer.
Uncle B, I have those little wild strawberries in my garden, too. There's one that's growing in a potted plant in the kitchen window right now, there were evidently seeds in the soil I used. They're tasteless though and it would take 30 of them to equal one big one like I bought yesterday.
I think the strawberries must have been trucked up from Southern California. I wonder why someone doesn't do that when avocados are ripe in San Diego? I'd buy a big box of them, wouldn't you?
Those strawberries look wonderful. My Mums cat rolls in the mint plant. My dogs mostly roll in fox poo, you wouldnt want to eat that :D
Post a Comment