Thursday, April 1, 2010

BBE 2 - The Route


The story begins with this map I cobbled together. The base was free on the internet (I left the copyright on it to give credit).

The green line shows our route, with little arrows that indicate the direction we were driving. The towns in red are places we visited or stayed overnight. There are other towns I’ll mention. You could Google a map of Texas to see where they are.

I’m going to tell y’all about the trip in a series of short stories and pictures, instead of a day-by-day or mile-by-mile report. Stories might be out of sequence. You can refer to this map if you get lost (click on it to see a bigger copy). Or do like I do – just pull over and relax. Sooner or later you’ll catch up.

Many of my friends and relatives who read this blog have traveled a lot more than I have, some of you have spent a lot more time in Texas than I did. I hope you’ll see some things that bring back fond memories. Please add your comments.


For my friends in England, and those who have never seen the vast spaces of Texas, this picture is a good introduction. West Texas has excellent highways, countryside that's wide open to the clear blue sky and not many people. Imagine Willie Nelson singing “On the Road Again” in the background.

I didn’t have to imagine, Merlene had (of all things) a singing coffee cup that played the song.

4 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Near Fredericksburg did you consume too much Californian wine as you seem to have gone round in circles! Looking forward to the next instalment.

Jan Blawat said...

In my lifetime, I have consumed my share of California wine. I am close to Amador County wineries and one of my uncles was in the wine biz. Amador County Zinfandels and Cabernets are exquisite! But now I'm diabetic, I don't drink wine anymore, so I didn't even try Texas wine. Merlene doesn't drink, either. We managed to drive in circles stone cold sober.

Bernard said...

Thanks for that. Now I know where Arkansas is.
I have an "Arkansas Stone" in my workshop. It is very fine and is used to get a sharp edge on metalworking tools.
I am sorry to say that I couldn't name more than a dozen States, let alone tell you where they are!
Back to school for me.

Jan Blawat said...

Uncle B, I doubt there are many Americans who could name more than a dozen states, either.