
I’m not a daring person, but I’ve always believed that if you want to see the world, you have to take advantage of opportunities when they come your way.
So when people at work asked where I was going on my vacation, I answered, “I’ll be in a car for 7 days with someone I’ve only spent 2 hours with in the past 40 years. I have no idea where we’re going, somewhere in Texas.”
When I was younger and could walk for miles if I needed to, it would have been no big deal if I’d flown all the way to Texas and found myself in a trying situation. I’d be in a little trouble if that happened now. Nonetheless, when Merlene called a few months ago and proposed a trip, I immediately said, “of course!”
I didn’t have 2 big guys to wrestle my luggage this time, so I packed a little lighter. Melanie dropped me off at the airport so I didn’t have to walk very far. The flight was fine, I had a window seat and a delightful person sitting next to me.
When the Cap’n and I got to Dallas it was all worthwhile. This smiling face was waiting for us, complete with her Tour Guide badge and a brand new rented Dodge Grand Caravan.

We spent the afternoon getting reacquainted on a tour of Dallas. We went down the street where Kennedy was assassinated many years ago. You can easily spot it. For one thing, the Texas Book Depository is still there and there are many tourists milling about, taking pictures. For another thing, on the infamous grassy knoll, there’s a sign that says “Grassy Knoll.”
We saw Parkland Hospital, where Kennedy’s body was taken, in the distance. We went past the Texas Theater where Lee Harvey Oswald was found hiding.
Dallas has some interesting big buildings. There’s one that looks like it’s made of green plastic and one that looks like it’s made of gold. Here was my first view of the city.
2 comments:
Isn't Melanie a little too old for dolls?
YP
I didn't explain very well. That's Merlene, not Melanie. And the Cap'n is MY doll, and I'm the oldest. Merlene, like everyone who gets the Cap'n thrust into their hand for a picture, was being a good sport.
Did you find my pencil box when you were looking for your passport? My main reason for not having a passport is that I'd just lose it.
JJ
Post a Comment