The Sacramento Bee took some pictures at the Gourd Festival. Click here.
I wasn't there very long, but it sounded like everyone was having a good time. I can still hear kids hollering out in the Corn Maze. Hope their parents don't leave them there.
I spent my weekend cleaning and putting things under cover because it's supposed to rain tonight. Got a lot done, but one of the really wild roosters got loose and I can't catch it. I'll have to wait until Bob gets home from work, he's the brains of this outfit when it comes to animals.
The leghorn hen is doing very well. I had her out in the sun for a while this weekend. She's standing on her leg regularly, and it appears to be straight. I tried to do the best I could when I put the splint on it, but I have to admit seeing her leg just flopping around was pretty stressful, and I wrapped it as fast as I could. I'll try to ease her back in with her sister and friends in a couple of weeks.
The baby fuzzbutts have been in the mutt pen for a while now, but haven't figured out how to fly up to the perch every night. I have to pick them up off the ground and put them up on it. This is either a case of the animals training the human, or the animals learning the wrong sequence: "First we huddle on the ground right next to the gate, then the lady comes in and picks us up and puts us on the perch."
Blue Top, one of our horses, learned a wrong sequence when he was being trained to load in the trailer. He would walk up to the door, stand, turn his head around and watch and wait for someone to pop his butt with a broom, then he would walk in the trailer. The broom was Step #3 and he couldn't master the sequence by skipping a step. You didn't have to hit him hard, there was no fear involved, it was just Step #3.
I've been reading one of Temple Grandin's books about animals, so this week I find myself analyzing everything the critters do around here. I haven't got to the part about cats yet. I'm hoping for some insight into cat management. The Feliway had a good effect. For a while. But last week Charley jumped right up on the desk next to my computer and pissed a mighty puddle right before my eyes. ?? Was he on a suicide mission?
Colostrum vs. Collagen: Which One Should You Take?
-
Colostrum and collagen offer unique and synergistic benefits. Although I
prefer one overall, adding both to your regimen can offer the best of both
worlds.
1 hour ago
5 comments:
Having seen the Sacramento Bee photos, I now believe in Gourd!
The birds who can't fly up to the roost clearly see you as a parent figure. You will need to build a human roost and get up there for a few nights in a row to demonstrate to them how to do it. It would help if you could dress like a mother bird and lay a couple of eggs too if possible.
Enjoyed those Gourds Jan, but the pictures were not as interesting as the ones you took last year.
Whilst reading the Sacro-Bee I found something even more interesting!
http://blogs.sacbee.com/photos/2010/09/surf-city-surf-dog-competition.html
I'm glad we're not the only one's doing strange things. :)
YP
I don't fit on the roost, or I may have tried that. It was nice, when Bob was a little kid, he'd take his blanket out and sleep with chicks, or with puppies. But he's even bigger than I am now, neither of us fits. He did make a ladder up to the roost yesterday. We'll see if that works.
Uncle B
Thanks for the link to the surfing dogs. I had to wonder what the dogs really think about all that, then I saw the picture of Abby, the Australian Kelpie. I had a Kelpie. Her name was Patsy (the Bear Dog) and she loved the water. She would have been right out there surfin' and grinnin'. Some of those dogs just don't look that happy to me, but you know the animal rights people would be on them in a minute if that were true.
JJ
You made me laugh when you said you hoped the kids wouldn't be left in the corn maze.
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
Update: There has been a strange cat outside, obviously a new dump-off, that has my cats upset. I think that's why Charley pissed on the counter. He doesn't understand the concept of "marking" which should only require a few drops of urine. George has already gotten scratched fighting with the intruder. I hope that doesn't require another expensive and trying round of antibiotics (God, I HATE giving cats pills!).
We made a ladder to the perch. It took two nights, but the babies have finally figured out how to get up there at night. No more stumbling around the chicken pen in the dark.
If there were children left in the Corn Maze, they have gone feral and will live there until it's harvested in November.
Today is Wednesday, my day off from work. I'll try to get something new written, but fall is here and I am infected with a compulsion to cut and stack wood.
Post a Comment