Sunday, February 5, 2012

Scene of Destruction


The front of my house has been the scene of a quiet war, which I am only aware of when there is a muffled bump in the afternoon. The score as it stands is:

Window - 3;

Sparrows - 0.

I've never noticed this phenomenon before. It must be the angle of the sun, and the fact that unlike most years we've had lots of sunny days at the time of year when male birds are trying to establish their territory by chasing off the competition.

Maybe I need to wash the windows.

7 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

No, keeping the window dirty helps the birds see the window.
Jane x

Sparrow Protection Society said...

We hope that you have administered proper funerals for our poor deceased cousins. A generous financial contribution would also be appropriate. The world's sparrow population is in decline and we are doing all that we can to maintain this precious avian species.

Practical Parsimony said...

Fighting their reflections? Then, that window is waaaay too clean...lol...would never happen here.

Thank you, Sparrow Protection Society for your concern and vigilance.

Occasionally, I have a bird thump my picture window, but it is so dirty the bird cannot see himself. I figure it was just clean enough that it looked like a passage, not solid glass.

Katherine Plumer said...

Ohhh, poor things! White-crowned sparrows, love them! :-( I'm not sure if the window being cleaner helps. It's not that they mean to fly inside your house, I think it's just that reflection on the window makes it look like a continuation of sky. You might try hawk-shaped cutouts on the window??

Jan Blawat said...

I think when the males chase each other, they don't pay attention to where they're going. I once saw two male robins fighting that ran into the windshield of a car going by on the highway. My window IS dirty. I just don't think they see it.

Katherine, I thought you had a bounty on sparrows?

SPS, where should I send my donation? To the Yorkshire headquarters?

Katherine Plumer said...

Jan, that's only the House Sparrows, aka English Sparrows, because they are evil and they killed my Barn Swallows. I have nothing but fondness for the other types of sparrows.

Sparrow Protection Society said...

Please make out the check to the secretary of our Yorkshire branch - Mr Reginald Pudding, Pudding Towers, Sheffield, England. The larger the contribution the better.