Friday, February 10, 2012

Working on my Attitude


I used to be able to do everything for myself - fix my car, shoe my horse, build things. Now I have to sit around and wait for someone I've either hired or asked to do things for me. I can convince myself to be patient if I deactivate about half my neurons and adopt a mental state where I just don't care. But it's too hard to discriminate, so if I don't care about a couple of things, I don't care about anything.

Wake up before noon? Why? Comb my hair? Why? One day is pretty much like any other when you've shifted into neutral and aren't getting anything accomplished.

I'm not depressed, no need to worry. But probably one day, and probably soon, I will no longer be able to maintain this slothful state. No animals will be harmed.

6 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

I hear you.
Jane x

Gail Jones said...

Jan, We need to get together and paint one of these days! That'll get you out of bed before noon (maybe).... :)

Bernard said...

You have a mild case of PRA syndrome.
That's 'Post Retirement Apathy'syndrome.
Don't worry. It'll wear off in a week or two, certainly when the Spring arrives.
For years, I too have done things for myself. Painting, bricklaying, that sort of thing. Always repaired and serviced the car myself.....but, now I've retired, I say to myself "Why should I waste valuable time painting a front door, when I could be out in the countryside enjoying the fresh air."
I now pay a 'man' to come and take my car away for service. He brings it back all nice and clean and ready for another 12 months. I have no worry and an extra day to enjoy myself.
Downside? It costs $ (£)!
But hey, so what?
Time is valuable.
{Hugs}....Bernard.

Practical Parsimony said...

I really hate that for you. It is the same for me, so I understand the frustration and helplessness. However, I fret lots. There is not a lot of social support system here for me, nor is there enough money to pay anyone to do anything.

Even when I think I am getting nothing accomplished, I think back. Something has always been accomplished, just not what all I have wanted to do.

Right now, I am really down because several window panes blew out and others are loosened. They have to be put in from the outside. It is too high for me. And, I am trying to find someone who really understands what it is like to be so cold from a gillion 1/4 inch cracks. All the cardboard dissolves in the rain, Wind blows through. It is miserable.

I am not depressed, either, just cold! Then, if it is warm, my house fills with insects of all sorts.

Someone will come to help you, I hope. Sorry to whine on your blog...lol...just want you to know you are not alone, not much solace, I know.

Terry and Linda said...

Spring is coming...for you and me that will be the best...I am so very tired of this winter.


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Paid work gives our lives routine and leaves less time for thinking. Usually it also puts us in a position where regular social interaction is inevitable. I know you had to battle with health problems Jan but I'd like to see you off on another road trip somewhere. Get a friend or Bob to come with you. Set a date and plan ahead. It would lift your spirits. How about southern Canada in the early summer? A big circle and back through Montana and Wyoming? You might even consider a hired camper van though that wouldn't be my cup of tea.