Friday, March 9, 2012

Goodbye and Good Riddance

To all my friends and relatives who have put up with my complaints about the crap in my garage over the years, this was a great day.


First time the Jeep has seen sunshine in 27 years. First time I've been able to walk through the garage and not trip over boxes of useless (but precious, of course) junk in 25 years.

11 comments:

Katherine Plumer said...

At laaaaaaaast!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Dreams do come true.

Mitzi

Helsie said...

Sounds like a relief!
Cheers

Practical Parsimony said...

You sound really happy and relieved!

Bernard said...

Looks like a 'collectors piece' to me. You could have sold that on eBay.

Jan Blawat said...

I couldn't have sold it on EBay because it didn't belong to me, it is John's precious junk. He hasn't lived here since 2007, but my garage had remained a shrine to his motorcycle and junk collection. The stuff wasn't just in the garage, it was packed solid, rendering the building useless for any practical application. Now I have a place to park the lawn tools, the lawnmower, and all the other things you usually store in your garage, things that have been scattered hither and yon for a quarter of a century.

Bernard said...

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that. However - "Now I have a place to park the lawn tools, the lawnmower, and all the other things you usually store in your garage."
Take a peek at my 'garage'!
He,he, us men are (nearly) all the same. (for hoarding that is.)

Jan Blawat said...

Uncle B, I don't care if you guys like having a lot of stuff in your garages, I just don't want it in mine. It does tickle me, though, that a lot of fellows who have to own 3 of every tool ever invented can't find one when they need it. Some of them don't know how to use them, either. An analogy would be if my kitchen was crammed with a lot of expensive cookware and I ate out all the time. When you live on a farm, there are always old tractors, old trucks, and old farm equipment rusting in the dirt. It's just too expensive to buy new stuff when the old things still work occasionally, and there are pieces of equipment that are only used once a year. On our neighbor's place there was old equipment used to harvest hops 30 years after the hop fields were taken out. I think you just get accustomed to seeing it there and forget what it is. When it's in your garage, though, and it's in the way, it has to go. Same thing inside the house. I keep a box by the front door and everything that isn't usable anymore goes into the box, and then either to the garbage can, to recycling, or to someone who needs it.

Practical Parsimony said...

I looked at the Jeep and thought, "Wow, after 26 years, it still runs." I imagined someone had kept it in condition and just never took it out of the garage. Then, I came back and looked at again and saw it was on a trailer!

Just curious, how did you manage to relegate it to the garage for so long? Was it special to you?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

It seems to be part of the human condition - to gather crap around us that we don't really need and to spend our lives fretting about clearing the stuff up. I'd rather live like that than in a clinical, obsessively neat and tidy "perfect" world.

Terry and Linda said...

I would love to have that jeep!!!

Bob didn't want it?


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com