My assignment: turn two bowling pins into gifts for people who are retiring from a bowling team.
This project was for my friend Sherry, a former workmate from the Office of Education. The pins didn't look like this when Sherry brought them. They were beat up, well-used. It took 3 coats of gesso to get them to this stage.
Disclaimer: I do watercolors, and I haven't even done much of that in recent years (like 15). I have a stockpile of acrylic paints but do not claim to know how to use them. I have a huge assortment of colored pencils I'd used on gourds. This was a challenging project for me.
When Sherry gave me a list of what should go on the pins, I felt like I'd gotten in over my head. A map of Colombia, a marriage, a travel trailer, a golfer, ice fishermen, a slot machine, bingo. Eeeeek!
I started on the first pin with colored pencils, the same as I would use them on gourds. That didn't work very well. The gourd surface seemed similar to the gesso surface, but colored pencil didn't hold very well on gesso. I decided against acrylics because I'd have to use a brush and my hands aren't as steady as they once were. (Not that I've ever been very good with a brush.)
So I went to Michael's (a craft store) and came back with an assortment of Sharpie pens. Some were the regular ones and some were oil-based paint Sharpies. The oil-based ones worked best.
Anyway, this is how the pins ended up.
Certainly NOT fine art. The style is cartoony, but Sherry was happy with them and I learned a lot. Bob says he hopes I learned to say "no" when someone asks me to do an art project. He got tired of my shrieking when something didn't work. I AM a linear thinker, and can only work on one thing at a time. I didn't do anything else until these were finished.
Now I have to get outside and clean chicken pens.
Colostrum vs. Collagen: Which One Should You Take?
-
Colostrum and collagen offer unique and synergistic benefits. Although I
prefer one overall, adding both to your regimen can offer the best of both
worlds.
38 minutes ago


5 comments:
Clean chicken pens? Wow! You mean American chickens are so clever they can actually write?
Well they turned out very well. In fact they are fantastic. Trouble is you've done such a great job you'll probably be asked to do heaps more now!
Cheers
Those are great!. Thanks for the tips about Sharpies. Are they waterproof? My gourds stay outside. Either learn to say, "No" or put a price on your work...lol. Now, I have to figure out what gesso is!
YOU ARE AN ARTIST!!!! Really cool!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com
I LOVE the pins, Jan!!! Your artistic ability and sense of humor together created something really special. I'm sure there's a market for creating art on different objects for retirees or whatever! Think about it! But then, it probably wouldn't be very enjoyable and it would be pressured filled.
Post a Comment