It was cold enough in Sloughhouse this morning that the hoses were frozen. But that didn't stop the Tough N' Dirty Mud Run. The first batch of runners started at 9 or 10 a.m. I didn't go out to take these photos for Kenny until noon. The run organizer said they have a lot more runners this time than for the first run. It seems a lot messier to me, more mud this time. They even used part of the corn maze.
It's a lovely, though chilly, afternoon as these 3 runners trudge between obstacles. That hill behind them is Sacramento County's dump.
A new way to do the corn maze.
People of all ages were competing.
A dry segment through the Christmas trees. Anyone need a Christmas cone?
Just before the finish line, runners had to crawl through a pipe, then get down on their stomachs to go under the wires.
Does this look like fun to you?
Doing the breast stroke.
Two girls cheering for mommy.
Wiped out.
A group of friends who run together.
The next run is in May of next year. If you start wallowing now, you could be in shape by then.
Colostrum vs. Collagen: Which One Should You Take?
-
Colostrum and collagen offer unique and synergistic benefits. Although I
prefer one overall, adding both to your regimen can offer the best of both
worlds.
1 hour ago










8 comments:
NOT something I would enjoy doing, but I DID enjoying watching through this post!!!!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com
Linda, don't you want to plan a mud run course into your irrigating chores next spring?
Crazy what people do for bragging rights isn't it? Heh heh. Thanks for the photos. Made me smile.
Wow, I didn't expect all of those pictures. Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to capture the insanity of it all.
I was still wearing 2 sweatshirts at noon here at 1800' in the foothills, I just cannot believe how cold it must have been getting soaked and covered with mud, although, if I was 25 or so, I probably would have been out there with them. You do some crazy things when your are young and invincible.
Thanks again for the pictures.
I used to go thru Sloughhouse years ago on the way to Jackson. That was when they still had all of the hops there. It was quite the thing to watch them grow over the summer, and one year, I even got to watch a little of the harvest. As far as I know, there are no more hops in Sloughhouse.
Aack! No, I would not enjoying do that. I avoid running and mud. However, I have never seen a mud run and was going to ask how they got muddy up to their shoulders. Now, I see.
If anyone wants to get wet like this, I can tell you hypothermia can set in at 60 degrees. Wearing wool next to the body would help because wool retains 80% of its insulating properties when wet. However, I will not be testing the theory in mud.
Isn't it interesting the things people can think up to do? Was this for a charity or something?
Crazy Americans! By the way have you climbed Sacramento County's dump and is there snow on top? I wonder what archaeologists of the distant future will make of it and what it says about life today.
Yorkshire, you would have to be in the right place at the right time to see snow in Sacramento, it is a pretty rare thing for them to get enough to cover the ground, once every 10 years or so. I don't know if they even operate a landfill anymore, they might be shipping it off to a regional facility. Lots of cities do that now rather than have the hassle and expense of running their own. The days of just hauling it out somewhere and dumping it are long gone, it is a high tech business any more. My take is that in the future these sites will be coveted as storehouses of raw materials when the technology evolves to the point when the metals and other materials can be recovered economically.
Kiefer Landfill is still in use. Because they've polluted groundwater under the dump, they had to set up a water filtration system that the county will operate indefinitely. (The pollution does not come in our direction.) The dump is an ongoing pustule in our lives here in the valley, with every new bunch of supervisors on the county board coming up with new ideas about what to do with it and the buffer zone around it. Presently their plan is to put it recycling and dump-related businesses on the side that faces Sloughhouse. We've put a stop to those plans so far, but it gets harder all the time. It's all so stupid because, like KennyD says, the technology is going in a different direction. The county is just looking for money at anyone's expense.
Actually if it snowed here, the dump would make an awesome toboggan and sled hill.
We haven't had any hops in Sloughhouse for quite a while. Our neighbor grew about 5 acres of them for several years after the big fields were torn down. He sold them to small breweries. Since he died, however, no one has grown any. We still have the big buildings left, though most are deteriorating.
Post a Comment