Sunday, November 25, 2012

Life is also unfair for cats

"What?"


"Go away, I'm busy."
Velcro wasn't always a chub. Her first 7 years she was fluffy, but fit. Nowdays she has trouble getting around. The problem is not that she eats a lot, though. This is the scene at dinner time.

Gollie eats while Velcro watches.
Velcro weighs 13 pounds. Gollie weighs 5 pounds. Gollie eats 85% of the food. Velcro does lay around a lot, but so does Gollie.

I don't think the problem is the type of food. The dry food I buy is very expensive, with no grains added. The canned food is the same. A small bowl of dry food, less than a cup, lasts at least a week. Velcro doesn't eat much of it because her teeth are rickety.

In this house the fat cat stays that way eating scarcely any food. The scrawny cat eats 4 times as much and never gains an ounce.

Many of us can sympathize.


8 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

Yes, that's my story, and I am stickng to it. I rarely eat and gain. Maybe she has low thyroid function or something.

Helsie said...

I'm not saying anything !!!
Cheers

Jane and Chris said...

Is Velco's thyroid working OK?
Jane x

Jan Blawat said...

It never occurred to me that a cat has a thyroid. I have a vet who charges me for everything he can think of, I'm surprised he hasn't suggested a thyroid test. I'll look into this, thanks gang.

Anonymous said...

Lynn's Mom's one eyed rescue cat (got to be in his 20's by all accounts) was put on thyroid meds about 6 months ago. He was the opposite - very skinny and yucko coat, poor appetite.

Doing very well is all areas now. Not fat but some meat on his poor ol' bones. Active again too. Taking to tackling Mrs. Dunn's little 2 lb, 8 oz dog to the ground again (they also eat together from the same dish - "best Buds" - and then they nap together).

Mitzi

Terry and Linda said...

Oop! THAT IS ME!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

¸.•*¨*•♪♫♫♪Merry Christmas to you ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥
˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜”

Yorkshire Pudding said...

What pudgy Velcro needs in an electric treadmill! See this link:-

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/53b6e44a3a/go-cat-go-the-treadmill-for-cats

Kath said...

oh yes. For the first 10 years of our marriage we were the same!