I like to put leg bands on the baby pigeons I raise so I can keep track of them once I turn them out with the other 40 pigeons. I had put a yellow band on the most recent baby when she (I think it's a she) was small, thinking she would grow into it. She didn't, this little one is quite petite. She's old enough now to pick her own accessories. So I brought out the leg band box this morning.
First she chose a basic brown band. A tasteful choice, perhaps, because it matches the brown in some of her feathers. Not my choice, though. I can't see a brown band very well in a pen with 80 pigeon legs.
After trying out all the colors, throwing a few bands onto the floor and carrying a few more around in her beak, little pigeon finally tossed this one on the counter.
"I want this one," she said. So we took off the large one and replaced it with the smaller version.
I think she would have preferred rhinestones to plastic, but I haven't been able to find fancy legbands.




8 comments:
Good stuff!!
Do you have a glue gun?
A bird of excellent taste! How do you put the bands on?
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com
¸.•*¨*•♪♫♫♪Merry Christmas to you ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥
˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜”
Perhaps you could paint her little claws with some nail varnish? I think that deep purple would suit her.
PP, she would pick off anything I glued onto her band, pigeons are curious and love to pick at things.
Linda, the bands are a spiral shape, so you just start one end and spiral it on, or off. With chickens, if the bands get too tight I cut them off before I put bigger ones on. Bands used to come in all sorts of wonderful colors. Now it's just the basics (white, red, blue, green, yellow) plus purple and orange. I use a combination of thin colored bands and the bigger numbered bands on the chickens so I can tell what their bloodlines are.
YP, of course YOU would know all about nail polish.
You are going to miss this sweet little one when you put it in with the rest aren't you?
How on earth do you put the bands on?
Oh I just read the other comments and found the answer to putting them on!!!
Cheers
One of my pigeons has a band the same colour as my crocs. He knows we are related.
Jane x
Post a Comment