Sunday, December 2, 2012

Traveling Through England

I don't own a TV. You know that by now, because I mention it all the time. I'm not looking down my nose at you folks who DO watch TV, it's just not for me.

I do, however, watch shows on Hulu and Netflix when I'm not cuddled near the fire with my Kindle (last book I read was yesterday, Janet Evanovich's book 19 of the Plum series).

There is a good selection of programs I can watch on my computer, including some current ones. I recently tried to watch a new show called Revolution. Mostly I was curious because it sounded a lot like Jeremiah, the post-apocalyptic series that starred Luke Perry from 2002 to 2004. In Revolution civilization came to a screeching halt when electricity ceased to function. Slightly different premise, but with similar after effects. The first year of Jeremiah had been interesting, seeing what issues the writers imagined.

I only managed to watch Revolution a couple of times. I also tried Grimm and Once Upon a Time. All of these programs have some interesting aspects, but I have the same problem with all of them. Danger lurks everywhere, there is torture and murder, constant stress and danger, too much violence for my delicate nature. Grimm is especially... well ... grim. The producers pride themselves on grossly brutal murders. Yuck.

For a while I settled for old shows. Mary Tyler Moore, for example. And I watched all of the Dog Whisperer.

A couple of months ago my former boss, Linda, told me I should watch Doc Martin on Netflix. It's a series about a grumpy doctor in a small English village. At first it was hard to follow the dialogue, but that became easier once I was familiar with the characters and my ear became attuned. I loved Doc Martin. It only took 2 weeks to watch all 5 seasons of it. The plots are simple, but fun. The characters seem like real people, at least they look like real people. On American shows half the characters are 20 year old starlets with big lips and no talent.

My favorite part of Doc Martin was the scenes of the Cornish countryside.

The fictitious village of Port Wenn
The people on the show lived in real houses, mostly old houses, that have the same sort of problems I have with my old house. People in the countryside had chickens and pigs and sheep. I loved the little town and the farms and farm houses.

Here is something I was surprised to see. People who were born or raised near Sloughhouse might recognize the plants growing up a trellis in the background in this scene. Do the rest of you know what they are?



When I'd finished Doc Martin, I discovered another British series, Rosemary & Thyme. It's about two middle aged ladies who are skilled gardeners and also solve murder mysteries. One of them reminds me of Martha Stewart. Unlike Grimm, there are no gory scenes. If I ever get shot in the head or fall from a cliff, I want my corpse to look like the ones on Rosemary & Thyme, very peaceful and lovely, with just a tasteful smudge of blood on one temple.

Rosemary & Thyme is not very well written, nor is it well acted. By the time they figure out who the murderer is in each episode, I don't really care because I've so enjoyed the scenes of English countryside and the beautiful gardens.


I've watched these shows, and also enjoyed the many photos that my English blog buddies have posted when they're out and about. I have gained a real appreciation for England. Perhaps it has places that aren't so photogenic and quaint. I don't need to know about that. I prefer the scenes of the peaceful, beautiful place that are planted in my mind.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Downton Abbey is also great

Terry and Linda said...

Someday...just like visiting your neck of the woods, I would love to visit England. A trip through the Untied Kingdom would be just fine!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

¸.•*¨*•♪♫♫♪Merry Christmas to you ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥
˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜”

Practical Parsimony said...

So, what is the plant? The picture was so blurry that the plant would be hard to discern even though I had a few guesses.

Grimm is horrendous, too scary. The first time I saw an episode, it was just too much for me. It is shocking to my system when one of the people change into a monster with all the attending roars and lunges at someone.

I have found Criminal Minds is my very favorite tv series right now after L&O. It may be reruns, but I don't care.

I love the Southern scenery and architecture. I may have viewed Gone With The Wind three dozen times, so much in fact, that the last two times I only focused on the archicture alone.

The pretty places with flowers in England are some of my favorite parts. Surely, England must have ugly parts.

Helsie said...

Ah....now you have my attention. We are great fans of Doc Martin and on our last trip made a visit for the day to Port Isaac (Portwen in the series). It's a delightful place and we had fun finding the Doc's house, and Louisa's school then we sat on the harbour wall and had a Cornish pastie for lunch. Bliss!! English countryside is AMAZING!
Have you tried "Midsomer Murders"? Lovely English villages, eccentric English villagers and gentle murders !!!
Cheers

Helsie said...

PPS.
And yes, of course, there are ugly parts like all countries but, like other countries, they usually involve cities. We stick to the countryside and do daytrips into cities that we want to see.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Well Jan, on behalf of The Queen, her government and loyal subjects of her glorious realm, I would like to thank you for visiting our sweet little island courtesy of your computer screen. You know, many English people fail to appreciate how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful corner of the world. I guess it can be hard to see things clearly when they are right in front of you.

Anonymous said...

Hops?
Also, I think you might like "A Touch of Frost." Brit series that lasted years. Inspector Frost.
Also, I just watched from Netflix 6 episode "The Singing Detective". I was blown away, but I'm not sure you would find it so compelling. I think our tastes are somewhat different. Worth a try, tho. Ask Uncle Pudding.
Merlene

Jan Blawat said...

Merlene is the first one with the correct answer: hops. When I was young in Sloughhouse, that was the primary crop grown here. I'd recognize hops anywhere, but it always surprises me to see them on a trellis in someone's landscape.

Of course I've seen Downton Abbey, and before that Upstairs, Downstairs. Before he was 12, Bob had memorized everything Monty Python ever did.

Helsie, what a fun thing to do! If I look back on your blog are there pictures?

Practical Parsimony said...

The picture was only blurry when I enlarged it, not on the blog post. As far as I know, I have never seen hops in my life.