Monday, April 15, 2013

I told you so...


The green stuff on the other side of the fence is grass hay that was just cut yesterday.

Today it is raining.

I have my hay in the barn, so that makes me happy. But it always makes me sad to see anyone's hay get rained on.

6 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

No saving it?

Kate said...

Will it be much? It's still retrievable if they can start tedding it tomorrow...

Jan Blawat said...

It didn't end up raining a lot, so it will probably be okay if the sun comes out, or there's some wind. It was just recently cut, so it still needs some time in the field. There are people who read this blog who are experts about hay, what do you think?

One problem specific to my area is the hay is usually so thick it sometimes has to be turned twice.

Terry and Linda said...

ALWAYS! ALWAYS! ALWAYS...just cut your hay and bam the rain starts!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Yes I bet it does make you sad after you have chortled knowingly into your coffee! Unless you have transmogrified into Saint Jan, may I point out that it is human nature to chuckle at the misfortunes of others. Like we say in England - "Make hay while the sun shines!"

Jan Blawat said...

Hmmm YP, if that's how it came across, I'm sorry. Like Linda (who farms) said, just cut your hay and the rain starts. My self-righteous chuckle over coffee had no bad feelings for the poor farmer. I really, truly, don't know how they manage to just keep slogging along sometimes.

The field that was cut was pasture hay, I'm sure they're trying to get a cutting of hay off the field as soon as they can so they can turn cows on it. Most of the hay in the area hasn't been cut yet and it's lived through two downpours and 3 days of pretty strong wind. I'm sure every time the weather is uncooperative, the farmer wakes up in the morning hoping his whole field isn't ruined. For the fruit and nut farmers, it's a late frost that can ruin everything.

I'm sure the big food companies can shrug off a mishap in one location with a bumper crop in another. But small farmers are like people who work freelance. They never know what to expect.