Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sacramento Kennel Club

I don't show dogs. My friend Melanie doesn't, either. But she has three Norwich Terriers that she bought from a show breeder. So we used that as a reason to go see the Sacramento Kennel Club show. Here are some of my favorite pictures.

What's the difference between a poultry show and a dog show? First, you never see people in suits at a poultry show.


Second, you never see this many people crowded into a poultry show.


Third, there must be a lot more money involved in showing dogs. I say this because the show was held at Cal Expo. The big, national poultry show that was in Stockton in January could fill the building above, but the rent for Cal Expo is considerably more than at the small, regional fairgrounds where poultry shows are held.

Another difference is the booty.


Poultry show trophies are usually smaller items that are functional and/or inexpensive.

It was fun to just wander around and see all the dogs. I'm not great at breed identification, but did ask when I took pictures, so I think these are accurate.

Pomeranian

Scottie
Skye Terrier
Norwich Terrier
Big (patient) Poodle
Big (bored) Poodle
Smaller Poodle
I don't know. I don't even know which end was
the head, they both looked the same.
Tibetan Terrier (rear view). Interesting dryer set up.
Not everyone was there to show. Some people were just enjoying their dogs.

A pair of laid-back guys.
Perfect job for a lap dog.
Everyone was very friendly, people didn't mind having their pictures taken and were thrilled to tell you about their dogs. The only problem I encountered was at this station, where the winners could have their pictures taken in front of the swamp background (seriously, it was depressing artwork).


I didn't see the sign that was attached to the background (to the left above), but that's okay because the photographer lady was happy to scream it at me...YOU CAN'T TAKE PICTURES HERE!!!!!

Oh yeah? Watch me, bitch! Dog show terminology, of course.


8 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

Jan,
I think I would like a chicken show better. I have been to a dog show and was frightened. Thanks for saying that was a swamp picture, otherwise, I would not have been able to identify it as such. God forbid you should snap a picture that photographer could have sold! I attended a chicken show that was part of Chicken Day Festival. I am sure the prizes were not extravgant or vaguely silver.

Jan Blawat said...

I don't think the picture was supposed to be a swamp, I think it was meant to just be green scenery. Looked like a swamp to me, though. It would be fun to take your own picture and Photoshop in the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Terry and Linda said...

Of course! I think I would enjoy a chicken show, this is rather to STUFFY for me.

I did enjoy it though!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Jan Blawat said...

Linda, you and Fuzzy might not enjoy a dog show as much, but I bet Boomer would have a great time with all the new smells and sights.

Anonymous said...

The reason you got yelled at for taking pictures is that the dog show hires professional photographers and they have exclusive rights to take the "official" pictures with the swamp background and inside the rings with the judges with the winning dogs.

You can take pictures outside the ring of the judges and exhibitors, just not formal pictures inside the ring.

You are allowed to take as many candid pictures as you like, as you did roaming around.

You should have wandered over to the Obedience rings where the dogs are sometimes pretty and sometimes not - and have to use their brains instead of relying on beauty or perfect grooming.

Of course, sometimes they use their brains too much and that results in a few good laughs but not the results the owners were hoping for. There were some very naughty dogs in the Obedience rings the past 4 days....and some very "good" ones.
Mitzi

Jan Blawat said...

Mitzi
The lady with the camera would have been fine if she hadn't screamed like a banshee. When she yelled at me, there were maybe 15 people standing behind me and they all picked up their cameras and phones and started taking pictures, mostly in smug defiance. It was funny. What I was actually taking a picture of was the sign "Winners Bitch" that was next to the winning dog. (And I had turned off my flash.) When I took the picture of the dog and the background, there was no photographer around.

What did the background look like to you? Maybe it was originally painted for a show in Louisiana or something. You'd think a Sacramento Show would have a background more representative of the area. And with California poppies.

We didn't know there was obedience going on. It took us a while to figure out things were happening in several buildings. Melanie would have seen more without me, I walk so slow and things are so far apart at Cal Expo. It would have been a good place to take the wheelchair, I could have zipped around AND always had a place to sit.

Anonymous said...

What can I say? Some people are very anal...guess the lady photographer was at her height of it when you "pushed her buttons".

Don't know why they use that background. Used to just take a picture of the Judge, handler and dog with a sign saying what they won. Guess that wasn't fancy enough for them. Now they use fancy, phony backdrops. I don't think there is any reasoning of why they use funky looking backdrops. Their idea of nice background I guess.

Poppies would have been much nicer.

Obedience and the more fun and natural dog show people are always in the farthest away building or location away from the glitz and glamour of the fluffy, pretty dogs.

Cal Expo always has obedience classes. Not all dog shows have obedience.

Some classes for obedience dogs are held in buildings, some are outside on grass, some are in livestock buildings with dirt floors..... certainly wouldn't do to have the fancy show dogs in dirt. Obedience dogs don't care if they sit or lay down in the dirt. Their owners don't panic and give them a full bath and brushing out every 5 minutes to look perfect.

Always good to bring your own chair or sitting device when going to a dog show. You can find chairs to sit in around the conformation rings. Bring your own to the obedience rings if you want anything besides the ground to sit on.

Mitzi

Anonymous said...

Loved the dog show pictures. Are you sure the Big (bored) Poodle is not actually a baboon?