I am a reasonably intelligent person. I have lost my confidence in the medical profession, but I do still insist on a scientific explanation to almost everything.
I have had neuropathy in my lower legs since 2007. Just a couple of years ago, I started getting cramps in my legs at night. Not the "stomp it out" kind of cramps you get down the back of your calf after you spend a day riding your bicycle too far, or maybe square dancing too long. These were cramps that started in my foot and worked up my leg, all the way to my hips. My entire leg would be stiff and hurt like heck. I would jump out of bed, but couldn't stand on a foot that was frozen out of whack, on a leg that didn't function. If you've ever had a cramp on the inside of your thigh, you'll know what I mean about the pain.
I was concerned because I couldn't find a reason for the horrible cramps. They were happening almost every night. And while I've never heard of anyone dying from leg cramps, the heart is a muscle, too. What if it cramped?
I asked the doctor about it. "Take some calcium," she suggested.
"I already take 1200 mg per day," I said. "Is that not enough?"
"Oh," she suggested further, "take some magnesium."
"The calcium I take has magnesium in it, if you take too much magnesium, doesn't that cause diarrhea?"
"Well, then, you should take vitamin D3." That was her third guess, her entire repertoire, as it turned out.
I already take that, too.
Over the years I've tried everything I heard about. Magnesium cream applied on the skin, a heating pad, a whole host of things I tried and forgot because they didn't work. I figured I was the only one suffering from this, and I'd just have to live with it.
When Julie and Marta went to the Red Bluff chicken show with me, the subject of leg cramps came up. Julie suggested putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet near my legs.
If I didn't know that Julie is also an intelligent person who tends toward scientific explanations, I might have rolled my eyes right out the top of my head. But I listened. She claimed it worked, so I thought "What's the harm in trying? It won't cost anything, I already have soap, and if it doesn't work I can still use it in the bathtub."
I tried it the first night I was home. It worked. I swear it, it worked. I haven't had a leg cramp, a foot cramp, or any other kind of cramp since I started sleeping with a bar of soap in the bed.
I went online, of course, to see why this would be. I couldn't begin to think of any sound reason, based on the science I know.
First, I was amazed (and somewhat relieved) at how many people have terrible leg cramps. What the heck is wrong? And why isn't anyone in the medical profession doing anything about it beyond giving bad advice?
Then I checked the Snopes site, and they had concluded that it's a really stupid-sounding thing that appears to have validity. At the very least, lots and lots of people swear that it works.
In my investigation, I found a company that sells soap that's made specifically to put in your bed. The bars are long and flat (5-1/2 inches long x 2-3/4 wide x 3/8 thick) and it's delightfully lavender scented.
I ordered some. It just came today, so I haven't tried it. But if plain old soap works for no good reason, there's no reason why this shouldn't.
Here are a few views of the box label.
Thank you, Julie, for the good advice. To my doctor: Nuts to you. (After I typed that I wondered, what does that mean? Nuts? I'm assuming it's not nasty.)
Colostrum vs. Collagen: Which One Should You Take?
-
Colostrum and collagen offer unique and synergistic benefits. Although I
prefer one overall, adding both to your regimen can offer the best of both
worlds.
1 hour ago




11 comments:
Jan, I Have a 90 year old aunt who swears by this treatment. It has worked on her previously severe cramps for some time now. Odd isn't it? Hope it works for you.
Jan, I Have a 90 year old aunt who swears by this treatment. It has worked on her previously severe cramps for some time now. Odd isn't it? Hope it works for you.
This is a crazy as putting Vicks Salve on the soles of my feet and night and putting socks on to cure a cough. But, it worked.
I have a leg cramp about twice a year from overactivity. But, I may put a bar of soap under the sheet as a preventative measure. However, exbf has leg cramps all the time. He gets up and stomps around he says.
There has got to be a reason! Would home made soap work?
I embiggened the pictures and read the text on the wrapper. It said a bar of soap lasted three month. Why would the effect become less? The bar is not being used! Surely, legs are not breathing the aroma which could dissipate. Now, I am more puzzled than before.
Helsie, if you get leg cramps from walking all over Italy, keep this in mind.
PP, my podiatrist told me Vicks is the only thing that works on toenail fungus, that the prescription medicines don't work and have bad side effects. I have no idea if homemade soap works, why would you go to all that trouble when you can just buy a bar of Ivory pretty cheap? My online investigation found that Dove and Dial are not recommended. It was also recommended that when a bar becomes ineffective you can shave off some of the outside and keep using it. So maybe scent does have an effect, but you know all soap has a different scent, so I don't know how that works.
But this is so weird, who knows how it works, anyway?
Hummm....now I have to try it!
✿♥ღLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
Hi Jan, sorry that you are in so much pain but I have heard that soap in your bed works. I hope you get some relief from this method. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day and Happy Easter. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/
That's wonderful Jan! It must be so great to go to bed at night feeling confident that those horrible bed cramps won't be back. Can you get Hangover Soap, Fart Soap, Slimming Soap?
Has no one else noticed the anti-government language on the top of the soap box? I would have bought the product just for that sassiness.
I just now read this to exbf. He flatly refused to put soap in his bed. The reason--soap would keep him up at night. We went round and round but he said any little disruption, even touch hotel bars would make him stay awake all night. He is anti-change and not adaptable at all. Okay a little TMI--this is why he only slept in the bed with me five times in the year we dated. If I breathed or turned over, he complained and stayed awake all night. He never shared a bed with his younger brother, never slept in a bed with anyone as an expediency. And actually slept with me (I do mean sleep) more than he had all other women together that he met and dated before me. So, he is hopeless. Okay, I am so put out that I am blathering.
Dove and Dial are the soaps I have the most in the shelf. But, I will use something else in the hotel size.
I see what you mean about shaving off the outside. Well, I knew it was scent, but obviously it does dissipate to the point it is useless.
Last spring, I used apple cider vinegar to cure a toenail fungus on both big toes. This winter, the fungus looking part did not come back, but there was a red place beyond the nail bed that really hurt on both big toes. Then, I would have an oozing place at a spot around the nail. Then, the red went away and came back. If this were bacterial, I have take enough antibiotic to cure it.
So, a trip to a podiatrist is planned. But, I will just use Vicks for a bit and see what happens. I don't want to lose a toe. And, that can happen if this keeps getting worse. I really hate anyone touching my toes, so the Vicks will be so much better.
No wonder old people always smell like more than bath soap and rum.
Tonight, I was sitting here, barefoot and holding onto a toe. I was feeling the toe and nail. I was pretty sure I could not reach it and cut it correctly. This was the toe next to the little toe on my left foot. Maybe it was the second toe from the little toe.
At any rate, that toe started to cramp when I let it to. THEN, the base of the toe and onto the foot started cramping. I grabbed the toe and squeezed it, making most of the pain stop.
Finally, I would scream every time it cramped. Anything at all made it cramp. Then, it started cramping waaay up on my foot.
That pain and cramping made me think of your blog and soap in the bed. Now, hours later, the toe is sore.
Soap will go into my bed tonight.
I have never had a toe cramp.
Post a Comment