Saturday, December 20, 2014

Danged Cat


What's wrong with this picture? Aside from the fact I took it through the dining room window.

This is how Biscuit spends his days. On TOP of the very expensive feral cat house I bought for him. Admittedly, he can't fit his fat head through the small entrance hole very well, and though it's been wet and rainy for 2 weeks, it hasn't been cold enough to encourage him to try a warmer place.

The smaller unit to the right is a second cat house. It has a bigger door and is stuffed with nice, dry straw. He doesn't use it, either.

I don't like having all this junk on the front porch if it doesn't get used. Biscuit eats his breakfast on the porch, a bowl of milk mixed with an egg and a small can of cat food. Later in the afternoon he has dinner in the woodshed with whatever feral cats show up to join him.

I don't know where he spends his nights. He leaves the porch when it gets dark. Sometimes he's gone for a couple of days, probably just living on the fat he's stored, or maybe he has a cache of mice somewhere.

I would put both of these cat houses in the woodshed, but I'm worried they'll attract rodents or raccoons instead of cats.

Why are cats so uncooperative?

4 comments:

One Fly said...

that's why they are cats

KCD said...

Some cats just don't like to be inside enclosed places. I see he has a nice soft towel to lay on, so he is probably happy with that. I had one cat once who wouldn't come in no matter how cold it was. Nor would she use a cat house like yours, but instead hunched up on a porch railing all night.

Practical Parsimony said...

I had two dog houses for our two dogs. Neither slept in a house. one just slept on the roof of the dog house which was inside a carport with a retaining wall. I just assumed she was surveying her domain.

As for why animals, cats or dogs do what they do, it is a mystery some days.

I don't think cats like to sleep in a place with only one way out, especially outdoors.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Why are cats so uncooperative?... They aren't! They simply take after their owners. By the way I thought that a cat house was another name for a brothel!