Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Up Early

I got up at 5:30 this morning.


It was a very crisp, clear morning. Why is it "crisp" – meaning the visibility is enhanced – when it's cold? I could see the traffic lights at the top of the valley very clearly, almost like I had a new pair of glasses. Why is cold air more clear?

At 6:30 I got a phone call. I had gone to sleep on the couch last night, in front of the wood stove, with my phone in my pocket. The cats were happy. Wesley slept on my feet and Gollie on my stomach. That's the only time she lets him get so close to her.

I dashed out to the car expecting to find the windshield frosted over, but it wasn't. It was 33°, evidently just warm enough to keep the frost away. It was still pretty dark, but someone was watching me.


That would be Dusty. He's a perpetual optimist. "I don't know why you're out here," he'd be saying "but it must be time for breakfast." It wasn't. I had no time for digging shards of hay out of my clothes, or more likely from between the layers of my clothes (long sleeved t-shirt, heavy sweatshirt and Bob's old ski jacket).

Where was I going in such a hurry?


To the post office. The morning crew gets in just before dawn and called to let me know my package was there.


That would be my package of 2 live birds that were mailed Monday from Missouri. I know, why do I need more birds? I don't. These won't be mine, their owner will be in South America for a month or so and I offered to show them for him and then mail them back to him.

When I got home it was a little lighter and Dusty was still hoping.


The other horse, Blue Top, just stays in the shed. If he hears Dusty munching, then he'll come out.

These are the two birds that were in the box. They'll be in the house for a couple of days until I'm sure everything is fine with them. So far, so good. Their box didn't have a single scratch or dent on it.


These birds will quite possible beat mine, but I don't care. I like to see Dominique bantams do well, it doesn't matter to me whose they are.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

Happy New Year, Jan!

Practical Parsimony said...

I could not imagine how you got a green sunrise! I thought your mad dash was because something tragic happened. I love Dusty's attitude.