Saturday, August 30, 2008

Around the Yard

This was my “before” picture from April 1. Before Susie came with her cultivator. The dogwood tree was nice, but the big mass of plants in the front was all weeds.


This is a picture I took this a.m. It's not really an "after" picture, more like "along the way." There are lots of different flowers. It will be interesting to see if they spread out and fill all the space before winter.


And here is the view from the front porch. The morning glories are like watchdogs. Anyone who doesn’t move fast will get caught and absorbed into the monster plant. Can you see the faint outline of the SMUD meter reader it ate? (Just teasing.)


Other news: the stray kitty is still here.

His eye has healed and I’ve scheduled a trip to the vet to get his shots. Jen, thank you for the info about how rescue groups clip the cat's ear when it's neutered so they don't catch the cat again when it's released. I suspect this cat has already been neutered, which would mean Trudy didn’t clip its ear. Not that she wouldn’t try. She came up on the porch after him a couple of days ago. I’ve also seen That Goat chase him out of the horse pasture. This is not a farm cat. He doesn't hunt, when he naps on the sidewalk the lizards run over him and he doesn't even wake up. I do not need another cat, I'm still looking for a home for him. Someone who watches TV a lot and wants a lap cat would love him.

Trudy Patoodeh is finally back on the ground. She abandoned her nest a couple of days ago and I caught her and Rudy “beaking” like a couple of turtle doves in the driveway. Rudy is happy, he whispers sweet nothings into her ear. Trudy doesn’t whisper, she sounds like a foghorn.

The days are getting shorter and I’ve had a lot to do at work. I barely have time to water the yard before it’s dark out there. Shucks. I definitely prefer the half of the year when days are getting longer. Either that or swing shift. A lot of my peers are retiring, I suppose that would work, too.

Nancy, Bev, Mo? Are you enjoying retirement?

1 comment:

Jan Blawat said...

Bev says:
Yes, Jan, retirement is better than work. Just need to motivate myself to do the jobs I don't like. Cleaning perhaps.

Jan says:
Oh no! You mean you still have to clean after you retire?