Thursday, January 14, 2010

Do-Gooders

Where I live, neighbors enjoy helping each other.

Where I work, the people are incredible. You can organize and collect a small fortune in a matter of hours for a person or cause that needs help.

The people I know are generous and thoughtful. When I was a kid, I remember being proud of living in a nation of people like that. Everyone aspired to be in the Peace Corps. The past few years have been a trial, it seemed like those days were long gone and our nation had become a place where it was every man for himself.

I have no idea if our nation’s aid to the people of Haiti will meet our expectations, and there are bound to be problems and disappointments, but it feels so good that the government is trying. It’s hard to teach kids to be good citizens and good people when the people in charge do nothing but bicker and act like self-serving idiots.

I hope the politicians can follow the example of US citizens and the good-hearted people from all over the world whose main goal this week is to help our fellow folks.

4 comments:

Kath said...

Hear hear! That was heart breaking this week to see dead and injured people lying in the roads and tiny children without parents. We should not be complaining about our bit of snow here in England, where we live safely and in comparative luxury.

Ruth Trowbridge said...

There are over 1 billion people displaced people in the world. The hunger in Africa has not gone away, the suffering in Sudan, nor the helplessness of orphans in impoverished nations. Lets hope the rally we see to this crisis will continue until no one is without. I hear everything for the relief effort in Haiti is run by gas powered generators and gas is a rare commodity there now. Maybe it is time to invest in solar powered equipment. Great post Jan. Peace for all

Jan Blawat said...

Kath, I've had a hard time posting anything this week because everything that's going on in my life seems silly in comparison to people's real problems. I sent my money and my good thoughts, and I guess that's all I can do.

Ruralrose. It's time for all of us to invest in our future, isn't it? Rather than just using resources and ignoring problems like there is no tomorrow. When a "tomorrow" does get here, we're all shocked. In my area they're building massive housing developments on floodplains, covering good farmland and enticing people to live where everyone knows they aren't safe.

It does seem like it would be a good opportunity for someone to design prototype houses for developing countries that would be affordable and strong enough to stand local disasters. In the case of Haiti, I guess that would be hurricanes and earthquakes.

Hmmm, now you've got my brain cooking. Maybe I'll put it all in a post.

A very basic point that you will agree on, I think, is that living in a city is a risk anywhere. Out in the country we're accustomed to being without electricity for a week, we can heat our houses and cook with wood, and the water comes from our own wells. I don't know about yours, but mine has a huge storage tank so even if the pump had no electricity we still have water to see us through.

Daphne said...

What a piece of excellent good sense! Thank you!
I've just found your blog and have really enjoyed reading it - hello to sunny California (in spite of your garden photos) from grey and wintry Leeds, England.