This recipe is for Uncle Bernard in Great Britain who just tried peanut butter for the first time. It stuck to the top of his mouth, which didn’t thrill him. I’m suggesting he can use the rest of the jar to make these peanut butter cookies that many of us here in the U.S. grew up with.
Traditional Old-Fashioned
Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
Cream together shortening, sugars, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Stir in peanut butter. Add dry ingredients. Form into balls about 1 inch in diameter, place these about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork to make a crisscross. Bake in 375 degree oven about 10 minutes.
It’s okay if the cookies are still soft in the middle, they firm up when they cool. When they bake, they make your house smell great.
Proposal
-
Back in the winter of 2014, a vivid dream woke me. It was as if an outline
plan for a bestselling novel had arrived in my brain fully formed. I leapt
out...
3 hours ago
6 comments:
Thanks for that Jan, but....
what is 'shortening'?
I know the song "Mamas little baby loves shortenin' bread" but have never come across it here. It's not flour as that turns up later in your list.
And vanilla. Uncle Bernard doesn't have things like that in his...
..pantry?...larder?....the little foody store room. A closet?
I can see I shall have to go shopping.
I wondered about the "shortening." It's solidified vegetable fat. The most common brand name here is Crisco. It's funny, because lard is the old-fashioned fat that people used to cook with. A nickname for a chubby person would be Lardo. In the southern states, they still use lard a lot, they call a chubby person Crisco.
What kind of fat do you use to make biscuits? That would work. Margarine would be fine, or maybe even butter, though I think it makes the cookies a little thinner.
I was also wondering about the "cup" measurements. Bob brought a cookbook back from India a couple of years ago, and all the measurements were by weight, and not pounds and ounces but grams.
Yummmmmm. Add some chocolate chips for a reall taste treat!
Actually, I not only don't eat any kind of cookies anymore, but I'd probably not let anyone bake PB cookies in my house because they smell so good. It's OK if Uncle B makes them, the scent won't travel that far.
we must have been on the same wave length. i've been thinking of makng peanut butter cookies. thanks for the receipe. maybe in the next few days. didn't know where my receipe was.beverly
I bet your recipe is the same as mine, Beverly, because my mom and Betty had exactly the same one.
Post a Comment