Saturday, January 9, 2010

So Many Chores, So Little Time

Didn't realize yesterday was Friday until the day was half over. I'm not mentally prepared for a busy weekend, but that's what I need. I have a dozen bales of compost to spread, lilacs to plant, wood to haul and stack, Christmas decorations to take down, a baby shower for Cousin Libby tomorrow, chickens to feed and water, horses to feed, and I'm sure there are a couple of things I'm not remembering.

I like doing all these things. A little sunlight breaking through the gray would make it more enjoyable. I'm really sorry for the rest of you around the country and the world who are snowed in, but you know how it is, that's not MY issue. When I look out my front door I see fog.

There are different kinds of fog. I've seen the kind that wisps through the coastal forests. That's a fairy fog. It keeps the ferns and the forest green and beautiful. I've been on hilltop trails, looking down from my saddle horse onto a dense, rolling fog that looks like the ocean. It inspires poetry.

And then there's Central Valley fog. All it does it make everything grey and depressing. And it makes traffic, cars piloted by California's mindless drivers interspersed with huge trucks barreling along 20 feet apart, really unsafe. You can't go slow enough to make sense, you'll be rear-ended. If you want to use a freeway, you just merge into the insanity and keep saying your prayers.

I don't have to negotiate a freeway this weekend. It'll just be me and my little yellow wagon out in the yard.

I'll have to generate my own sunshine, from within.

Oh, here's something to celebrate: Merlene just reminded me that today would have been Richard Halliburton's 110th birthday. I'll imagine I'm spending a sunny day in Greece.

2 comments:

Kath said...

I guess in England, we get "Central Valley fog".It is very grey and damp when we have fog, quite dense usually and often accompanied by a drizzle which England is famous for :D

Bernard said...

I get Thames Valley Fog as I live near the river. It's a friendly clean fog......not like that awful polluting smelly London stuff. Kath doesn't live far from me - on the other side of the hills - so to speak. They get Aylesbury Vale fog.
When they get fog there are usually accidents on the Motorway (M40)