When I picked up my refrigerator drawer part after work today, I came home through Elk Grove.
Elk Grove used to be the town where people from my area always went. They went shopping there, they went to high school there. Elk Grove was a small dairy and farm town. In the winter you would see half the population walking around in mucky boots. The small restaurants were full of these folks at breakfast time. You would always eat your eggs and bacon with the faint odor of dairy cow poo wafting through the air.
It's not a small town anymore, it's a mess, one idiotic housing development smooshed in between two others. I don't often go there anymore.
But today I did, and I was reminded of something I learned long ago - the nastiest shoppers in the county all reside in Elk Grove.
Have you ever been headed for the checkout line and had someone glance at you out of the corner of their eye, speed up on purpose, and pull their cart rudely in front of yours? Then they look off in the other direction as if they didn't see you? I've had this happen maybe 6 times in my life, and always in Elk Grove.
I don't know why this is, maybe it just got started with one sourpuss and spread all over town. The little old lady who cut me off this afternoon was typical of what I've seen. She had one of those mouths with wrinkles all around it that made it look like she sucks lemons for fun. You know, the kind of mouth that is vaguely reminiscent of an anus? You just know there will be no good outcome if you clear your throat and say something like, "Pardon me, but I was here first."
The checkers see what's happening and they ignore it. That's OK, I'll just keep spending my money in Rancho Cordova.
On the way out of Elk Grove I had to drive through 2 more things I find offensive about the "new" Elk Grove - roundabounds! It's interesting that in Sedona, where we saw 7 of them in a row, the drivers seem to take pride in the social and ecological correctness of these traffic hazards. They are patient and polite and everyone takes his turn.
In a town like Elk Grove, I predict they will always be sore spots. The nastiest shoppers in the county don't do well in the roundabounds either.
Oh, so I got home and Bob took the parts from me and started to install them in the refrigerator. "Where's the replacement screw," he asked, "for the one that's broken off here?" Ah yes, that would be the one I didn't know about. So now we have a brand-spankin' new produce drawer that lists to one side because there's a screw missing. It looks like it wasn't made to be replaced, either, because there's no way to get the old piece out. It's welded into the wall of the refrigerator.
So I'm back to shopping for a refrigerator.
Colostrum vs. Collagen: Which One Should You Take?
-
Colostrum and collagen offer unique and synergistic benefits. Although I
prefer one overall, adding both to your regimen can offer the best of both
worlds.
1 hour ago
4 comments:
The town (largest in the area) next to us---Grand Junction--- got the brilliant idea to put in round-abouts EVERYWHERE. It's a mes to drive there, although people tolerat them and try to do thier best. Sometimes was Europe doesn't isn't always good. And sometimes what Europe does really only works for Europe.
I think America is made up of more 'straight' forward thinkers!
Ha.
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
"Roundabound" is the Darth Vader pronunciation of roundabout, by the way. It cracks me up every time I think about Darth Vader doing GPS.
The problem with them in Elk Grove is they symbolized the end of the town as we all knew it. It was a farm and dairy town. As you might imagine, the last thing you need when you're pulling a stock trailer is to have something like that in the middle of the road. The stock suddenly gets flung to one side of the trailer. The whole town was made hostile to farmers overnight, with landscaping in the middle of the streets of "old town" that are now lined with doodah shops for tourists and lookie lou's. And sure enough, the farmers are pretty much gone where they're no longer welcome. The town is now run by newcomers, many of them surely supported by the developers who have totally screwed the place up. I wouldn't have believed it could happen so fast, and the whole undertaking was one of those convoluted political things where the citizens have no idea what's going on until it's too late. In this case, Elk Grove was incorporated as a city to "save" it from being taken over by Sacramento. What actually happened is the developers managed to spring it free from Sacramento County influence and rape it to their heart's content.
But that's just my opinion. I'm sure someone out there might actually prefer the New Elk Grove? Be my guest, speak up.
And yes, Linda, things that seem "quaint" when you see them in Europe don't always work here.
I think part of the problem with the roundabounds in EG is that they never explained to everyone how to use them. People in Europe know how to use them, they're everywhere. I got to know them rather well in Davis, on a bike, and trust me there is nothing more chaotic than the bike roundabound outside Chem 194 at morning rush hour. Holy crap. But the ones there made for CARS all had a little sign "yield to traffic already in circle." That's all people need to know. EG never explained that concept.
I agree with you. New EG sucks versus old EG. I wish I remembered better what it used to look like, but the layout didn't really stick in my head all that much when I was little. But I can pretty much drive around and point out the window and say "this used to be pasture land" and anywhere except the old part of town that would be true.
I have the same problem with the "new" Elk Grove and attitudes.
BEWARE of anyone already approaching (not even in the round-abouts yet) - they go through at full speed with no thought or prayer of slowing down for anhyone, regardless if they were there first.
I try to patronize businesses in EG because of long ago loyalties and memories.
But, every time I try to use EG businesses, I end with the short end of the stick and pay way too much. And the sale's people are rude and arrogant to boot!
I stopped shopping in EG for most things a long time ago.
They've ruined old town EG for shopping. It is almost impossible to park and shop in the area. By the time you can park, you are no where near where you want to be. Crossing the street on foot is impossible. If you do park and shop, you can't get back out onto EG Blvd again to get home - or go anywhere.
Yesterday, I found out that my favorite Raley's store on Bond is going to be a Food Source which is also owned by Raley's. This is going to happen by September. All my favorite people will be working some where else.
There is a Raley's a mile from me on Mack Road but I hardly ever shop there and certainly NEVER at night.
The Mack Road store also seems to be the Raley's employee's last choice to work at also.
Progress in EG in the 21 Century is not a happy thing.
Mitzi
Post a Comment