Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Scrounging for Glasses

For at least 20 years I wore the same prescription in my glasses. I'm nearsighted. One eye was as bad as it could get and still benefit from correction, the other was marginally better. I'd only get new glasses because the lenses were scratched or the frames broke.

For the past 4 years my eyes have changed dramatically. Every year I have to get them tested and get a new prescription because they keep improving. You'd think that was a good thing, but it still requires shelling out money for new glasses. AND it means that none of the 20 or so pairs of old glasses I've kept will quite suffice.

Like right now. I had to leave the frames for both my driving glasses and my computer glasses at the optometrist's to have new lenses put in them. I've found an old pair I can use for driving. They are actually a pair I used to use for computer glasses, that prescription is strong enough now for distance.

But I haven't been able to find an old set that I can use for work. Eeek! I won't get the new ones for 2 weeks! I guess I can do what I'm doing right this minute, peering at the screen with a naked face, my nose 10 inches from it. It's like sitting in the front row at the movies.

3 comments:

Von said...

Bet you can't hear properly on the phone either!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I'm so pleased I have reached my late fifties without ever having to wear glasses but there are times when its only my pride that prevents me from donning reading glasses. Your eyes are improving? Does that men you are turning back into a high school girl?

Jan Blawat said...

Von, you're right! I especially can't hear on my iPhone because I have to line my ear up with the little hole. It works great for texting and playing games, though.

YP, I hope I don't turn back into a high school girl, I was a very big, awkward, homely kid. Smart though. I wouldn't mind being that smart again.