Most of the wildlife we see in Sloughhouse and the nearby area is common. We do have Swainson's Hawks. I love them. They stay out in the fields and never come into my yard. My kinda hawk! Swainson's Hawks are endangered, so habitat where they live is protected. In the long run this is bad for developers and good for farmers. Like I said, my kinda hawk.
We have snakes. There is a den of rattlesnakes on the levee. They never bother us because the busy highway is between us and them. On this side of the highway it's more common to see a gopher snake or a garter snake. We like them. I especially like garter snakes and have been waiting for the one under the hay pile to wake up and start eating the mice that have settled there.
The most common mammals we have are opossum, raccoon, deer, and coyotes. We hear the coyotes every night but don't see them very often. There was a dead one on the highway a couple of weeks ago. It was beautiful. Sloughhouse coyotes are not ratty-looking. The highway is where we see most of our local wild mammals. Dead. A busy highway through a wildlife conservation area is not a good mix.
A couple of days ago I saw something even stranger. I was on Sunrise, nearing Jackson Rd. Waegell's strawberry patch was on the left and the Folsom South Canal was on the right. I could see something dead near the road, and even from a distance I could tell it was not a common animal.
I don't know why, but I can identify most animals that are dead on the road in an instant. This doesn't work when I'm in Texas or somewhere else, where I'm not familiar with the wildlife. In Texas, Merleen had to turn the car around so we could check out a strange looking dead animal. It turned out to be a jackrabbit, if I recall, its body twisted into an unfamiliar shape. There aren't many dead animals on the road in Texas, there are hundreds in California. In Texas they try to keep the wildlife inside fences so people can shoot them.
When Katherine and I drove across country a couple of years ago, we were baffled by dead things on the highway that looked like flattened fish shining in the sun. They were flattened armadilloes. We never did see one that was alive.
But, anyway, I knew what the animal on Sunrise was because I'd seen one dead on the highway about 8 years ago.
When I saw the first one, it had been dead for a while. It was in tall grass and I couldn't see the carcass until the grass dried and bent over. Bob and I stopped and examined it because the fur quality and color were strange. It had short legs and a fat tail. It looked like a deformed dachshund. It took some investigation to identify the remains as a river otter.
This is a North American River Otter (Lontra canadensis). They aren't very common even down in our riparian valley, where you'd expect to find them. Alice once saw a family of them strolling down the road in the day time near the Pierson house on the levee. Jim once sat and watched 3 of them playing in the irrigation ditch. Mrs. Peterson once had something kill her setting ducks and eat their eggs, and since that was near the time I saw the first carcass very near her house, I'm guessing an otter did that.
But I never expected to find otters on Sunrise, which goes through the drylands. There must be a colony of them in the canal. They mostly eat fish and crayfish, reptiles, frogs, birds, and mice. But they also eat fruit. This one must have been out to dinner in the strawberry field across the highway.
Colostrum vs. Collagen: Which One Should You Take?
-
Colostrum and collagen offer unique and synergistic benefits. Although I
prefer one overall, adding both to your regimen can offer the best of both
worlds.
1 hour ago



8 comments:
"Out to dinner...LOL I am surprised a river otter was not in very close proximity to water.
I rarely see live opossums or skunks around here, but I see lots of dead ones. The roads are full of both in the spring. The air if full of skunk, too.
What a shame. I love otters. I always look for wildlife where ever I go but it is not easy to see these days with everywhere so settled and the animals so shy. The dead stuff beside the road is often the only way we even know there is anything out there.
Cheers
Tragic end for such a beautiful creature. It breaks my heart whenever I see a wild animal that's ventured on to a killer road. Are river otters native American creatures or were they introduced?
We had an Otter at the old Mather Air Force Base this year at a tracking test (testing a dog's scenting ability and skills for an AKC tracking title).
There is a pond in the middle of the fields that catches the water draining into Morrison Creek that runs through the old base.
The pond is West of the Mather Golf Course, East of Arnold Road and South of Mather Road before it becomes Excelsior Road.
The dog that was running a track by the pond happened to be an Otterhound. The Otter was at the edge of the pond, doing back strokes in the water. The Otterhound could care less about a real Otter. Everyone else was really excited about it.
This is the first time in about 15 years of being out in the area that anyone had seen an Otter.
I'd say that it was about 2 - 3 miles (as the crow flies) from where you saw the roadside Otter and where our back stroking Otter was.
Mitzi
Helsie, somehow I imagined kangaroos and platypus and all sorts of animals just wandering all over in Australia. My favorites are your birds, most of ours are small and brown.
YP I think our otters are native. Evidently they were hunted for their fur. Like Helsie says, you'd never know they were around until you see a dead one. OR, like Mitzi, there is a happy accident.
Mitzi, I think it's funny the otterhound wasn't noticing the otter. Must be like Anne's cowdog that not only won't work cows but doesn't want the other dogs doing it either. There's a good chance the dead otter has relatives in the canal/Mather area, I read that they stay together as families for quite a while. Thanks for the story...how did you know it was an otter? I'm guessing because they look more familiar when they're in the water.
Well, we knew it was an Otter because someone who knew what they are, saw it and said "it's an Otter.!" He was very close to it. Then, others stepped up closer to see and all agreed it was an Otter.
Cute little guy. He was having fun on its back along the shore of the pond. Wasn't bothered by the Otterhound and the Otterhound couldn't be bothered.
It was a neat thing to see and know about.
It made everyone's day.
There's been Ducks, Egrets, Geese and the occasional swan and - always wild Turkeys - out there before but this was the first Otter.
The canal is quite a long way from the pond, with no water in between.
When it's not raining and in the summertime, everything is very dry. The canal, the pond and the Rotary Park Lake are the only water sources out there, with a very dry trickle in Morrison Creek.
I hope the family is still out there somewhere.
Mitzi
I was STUNNED to see it was an OTTER!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com
Post a Comment