Saturday, May 12, 2012

Party at the Cemetary

Today there was a party at the Sloughhouse Pioneer Cemetary. 


Our little community has a long (for California) history. Many of the descendants of people who were buried in our cemetary in the 1800s are still living here, or near here. A lot of them showed up today to help celebrate the 40th birthday of the Westerberg family's gift of the cemetary to the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. 

The DUP does a good job of maintaining the historic site, but this year was special. Crews spent a couple of weeks mowing and primping. The Sloughhouse Inn, the local restaurant that has been closed for 3 years, was opened just for the occasion. It was good to be inside the old community building again and say hello to people I went to school with. 

My friend Maureen, and her husband, who happens to be my brother Jerry, came down from Chico. Jerry is a student of history, he's one of those people who can read and remember all sorts of things. I think Maureen was just desperate to come out of the deep woods and attend a party, even if it was at a cemetary.

There were docents available who gave tours in the morning and the afternoon.


They were dressed in costumes of the 1800s. At noon there was a ceremony on the back porch of the Inn, complete with speeches and music by a band of young folks. Our local politician was there, too. It was pretty folksy for a California party, maybe more reminiscent of something in the midwest. That was just dandy. 

Here are some more costumed participants.



I don't know these fellows. They must be Husbands of the DUPs. If they were from Sloughhouse, I'd know them. That's just the way it is, we know each other. 

Maureen took this picture of Jerry and our Aunt Rosie in the cemetary. 


And I took this one of Bob and Jerry with a mural.


The guy on the mural seems to be measuring how tall they are. Note: Bob is taller. Sorry, Jerry.

3 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

So that's how Californians have fun! I thought it was all about pool parties in the Hollywood hills with German sports cars, film stars, plenty of name-dropping, champagne and barbecued raccoons.

Terry and Linda said...

OH HOW I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE! I would have enjoyed every wonderful minute of the whole thing!!!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Practical Parsimony said...

That looks like loads of fun. I don't have relatives to have fun with. My daughter would sigh when she was about five and wish we could go have a picnic in the cemetery.