Many years ago, like at least 30, I used to ride a lot. Most of my horse riding buddies were women. I didn't discriminate, it's just that not many men were interested in trail riding in those days. Occasionally one of the women would bring her husband along. Here are two husbands on horses.
 |
| Charlene's husband, Bob |
 |
| Harriet's husband, Wayne |
Bob was an electrical engineer in those days. Wayne had a government job. Now they're both retired. I'm not sure why Bob was riding the day I took his picture. Wayne was on a horse because we were on a trail ride to Souverain winery.
Those were incredibly fun days, there are superb trails all over California and we rode a lot of them. Horses are a lot of work, though. These days I'm sure you'd find us all riding to the winery in a car. I'd be the designated driver.
4 comments:
Years ago Tony and I rode horses a lot too. I had ridden as a child but he learnt when he was in his early 30s. We loved it and our horses and enjoyed riding for many years. Isn't it funny how horses and riding seems to appeal to young girls more than boys?
Cheers
Over here in England you will sometimes see people riding horses down quiet country lanes. They are nearly always women or girls and it's very rare to see a rider without a helmet. I've only ridden on a horse once. It bolted down the forest track and I thought I was going to die. If you'd been there you'd probably have been laughing. My raccoon butt has never been the same since.
Helsie, I should have guessed that you were an equestrienne because of your adventurous spirit. When I was riding a lot, there were women in their 70s and 80s out there on the trails. I always thought that's what I'd be doing after I retired, too. I still have 2 horses, but don't ride at all. I'm not sure I could anymore, but mostly I don't have what it takes to be out there everyday on a horse, keeping us both in trail shape. I bet you have some marvelous places to ride in Australia! You know here in the US we think you all ride like the Man from Snowy River.
YP, helmets are an interesting thing. I never rode with one, nor did most people I rode with. I understand how important they can be, having seen a couple of people who suffered brain damage from horse wrecks. Neither of them was very smart to start with, though, and that's why they ended up in trouble. I would have made sure your horse ride was more enjoyable by starting at the winery first. It doesn't take much Cabernet to give one the illusion that he rides well, so when your horse takes off it seems more frolic than frantic.
I rode for years until I got married. Stayed in the cow camp all summer by myself until I was 16.
Like you say...fun times!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com
Post a Comment