Thursday, September 12, 2013

Making Muffins

This morning while it was still cool, I whipped up a batch of Leftover Muffins. For these, I used the bananas that had gone overripe, a zucchini, a carrot, and an old apple. I always like to start with old bananas and then add any other fruit or vegetable that is hanging around.

I used to enjoy baking more than I do now. For one thing, I can't eat anything I bake, especially something like muffins that have sugar and flour in them. It's not that I'm tempted, it just seems like a waste of time. It's nice to have something around with a weekend coming up, though. I'll have something to offer any company that might show up.

The other thing I don't enjoy so much about baking these days is the senility factor. Did I already add eggs? (Check in the garbage can and see if there are egg shells.) This is how it goes. My memory is still fair, but I question myself constantly. So this morning, after I'd prepared the muffin pan, I went to the cupboard to gather spices and came back to find this.


Well, dang! What was I doing that I forgot the last muffin paper? I traipsed back to the cupboard to get another one. That's when I saw this.


How did he doooo that? He must have sneaked onto the counter, snagged the paper, and carried it back to the floor to turn it into a toy, all within the 30 seconds or so when my back was turned. I threw the new toy away before he could lose it under the stove.

"Hey lady! You hoarding any more toys up there?"


Here are the finished muffins, by the way. They are chock full of fruits and vegetables, they're very substantial. Which is another way to say that if I threw one at the kitten, for example, I might hurt him.


Not much danger of that, my aim is terrible and the kitten is quick.

6 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

LOL

That "senility factor" is hard to deal with. Although years ago it was the "kid factor." I always put everything on the right of the bowl and transfer it to the left when I add the ingredient. Sure, I might have to look in the trash for the egg shells or wipe the spoon with my finger and taste my finger to see what I added last because I forgot to put it on the left side and maybe did not really use it or put it back in the cabinet. See how my perfect method can go wrong.

"Kid factor" did include no sleep, crying/whining/hanging on my leg. I don't recall any swiped muffin liners, just missing butter from the counter and a child who thought vanilla and oocoa were foods worth grabbing.

I just love the "kitten factor." Like kids, I suppose the kitten makes you think it is the "senility factor."

I am going to try putting all the leftover vegetables in with these bananas dying beyond what even I will eat.

Still laughing over that kitten.

Leenie said...

At least you have a kitty to blame. And a very handsome and clever one at that. heh heh

Terry and Linda said...

He is the most adorable entertainment in the whole world!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Helsie said...

That little fellow is worming his way into your heart. He's very cute!

KCD said...

You might as well make it official and give him a name. You have a new cat.

Anonymous said...

How about "Al", for Al Jolson, the entertainer?

Mitzi