Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Showing Off

The flowers are showing off. The lilacs not only look beautiful, they smell wonderful, too. There are purple ones:


and white ones:


The lilac bushes have been here as long as I can remember, my mom probably planted them from roots of old bushes that were long established in our area. She always kept lilacs, Shasta daisies, a Blaze climbing rose (she said it was Grandma Blawat's favorite), and Naked Lady lilies. I saw a picture once of Walter Grimshaw's garden and he had a long row of Shasta daisies at his house across the street. I still grow all of my mom's favorites. Some are the plants she planted. The camellias are my own addition, though I think a couple were planted by Uncle Orin and Aunt Shirley many years ago.

This pink stuff that Suzie the gardener lady planted for me last year is blooming. It’s very frilly. I don't know what its name is.


And of course, Rudy is also in full bloom and showing off.


Trudy is back on top of the horse barn again, trying to hatch eggs. I hope she’s OK up there, we’ve had raccoons again. One of them killed the little old brown hen the other night. Makes me wish I had a machine gun. I don’t know how the wild birds manage to propagate, there are so many stinking raccoons around here. They don’t just kill something to eat, they eat some eggs then smash the rest and kill everything they can get their paws on.

Remember the little patchwork cat? She’s had her kittens at the corn stand, the guys can hear them mewing sometimes. They’re evidently hidden back in a corner. Bob is on the job trying to find them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naked Ladies!! I have them, too. Just love them. Mom had them here for years and since I'm not a good gardener they didn't do as well as they could have. The neighbor has been watering one side of the backyard with the bonus of huge, healthy lilies for my yard. The Redbud I planted several years ago is also doing wonderfully well. The soft pink flowers are colorful and the tree in full leaf adds a lot to the back. fullo