
The garden has been mostly beautiful, but there are some odd things going on out there too. Like this mutant lily that popped up among the lovely pink and red ones. OK, so the giant frog in the background is a bit weird, too, but it’s not real.
And then there’s the tree rose that thinks it’s really a tree.

And Trudy the peahen who has evidently given up on the horse barn roof idea and laid eggs in the back of the red dump truck this time. They won’t hatch, of course, there is no peacock.

I let the Ancona chickens out every day to give Trudy some company (she likes to herd them around), but the Ancona rooster isn’t friendly to her at all. And frankly, the thought of an Ancona crossed with a peahen is frightening. I don’t think chickens cross with peafowl, maybe turkeys do, or pheasants?
Don’t tell Trudy her eggs won’t hatch. As long as she’s on a nest, she’s staying out of trouble. I’ll need to put a sign on the truck though so John doesn’t take off with Trudy in the back of it. He did that with one of our cats a few years ago. It took me a month to find her. She was 3 miles away, at the first stop sign.
2 comments:
Can you eat peahen eggs?
I've tried duck eggs and goose eggs but that's about all.
Another question is.....do peahens wake you up in the night making all that noise like the cocks do?
Cheers.......Bernard
Trudy's eggs are about the size of a turkey egg. I gathered the first one and refrigerated it, but haven't tried to cook it yet. Trudy doesn't make any noise at night, she does that when she gets up in the morning and just before she settles in at night. Rudy was the sentinel. When Trudy was on the nest, he kept her informed of everything that was happening in the yard. I loved that sound.
Post a Comment