Sunday, November 15, 2009

Aloha!

I have mostly been a cautious person - make careful plans, save my money, investigate all aspects of anything before I start down a new path. Then I learned that the easiest way to be disappointed is when carefully-made plans go awry. So I try not to do that anymore. Except I do save money so I don't have to be so careful about expense planning.

A couple of weeks ago there was an ad on our online classifieds at work: Condo in Kauai for 10 days from December 20-30. The price was very reasonable. I thought wouldn’t it be fun to rent the condo and then tell all the friends and relatives to come on over if they’d like, for a few days or all of them? Well, I got no takers. Some had no money for a plane ticket, some didn’t want to be away at Christmas, some couldn’t get time off work. All legitimate reasons, but I didn't need to spend 10 days in Kauai by myself.

I still wanted to go to Hawaii, though. Couldn't get it off my mind. One day Jonathan was here. He works four 10-hour days and has Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday off. No one, he said, can do anything on those days.

Bob and I could! I have tons of vacation time and Bob is only working 2 or 3 days a week. So I called our local travel agent - yes, our little “town” of 125 people has a travel agent. Last time we used her Bob was 8 and we were going to Disneyland. I asked her to find us a good deal on 3 days anywhere in the Hawaiian islands. She did and we went.

Gwynessa showed up at game night, the night before we left, with a beautiful carnation lei she’d made. Thank you for the send-off G!


Oh, and of course Cap’n P went with us, too.


Bright and early the next morning we took Bon Voyage pictures. Jan says “Farewell.”


Jon says “Bye bye!”


Bob says, “It’s not even noon yet, why am I up and what’s with these flowers around my neck?”


We left our lovely lei by the front steps, and with Katherine in charge of the animals, away we went.

5 comments:

Katherine Plumer said...

I wondered about the lei! I figured it must be some sort of code for someone as to your whereabouts.

Ruth Trowbridge said...

Great story, hope you got leid when you got there too ;-)
love, love your yard and the fence, how did you get that to work (rhetorical?), just awesome, peace

Nancy said...

Nice opening tease - - looking forward to "the rest of the story!"

Jan Blawat said...

Ruralrose, the archway is made from a chain that used to hold up a suspension bridge across the river that's near our house. The bridge washed away during a flood in the 1800s. My father found the chain when he was doing work in the riverbed, brought it home, and welded it into position in the 1950s. We always seem to end up taking pictures in that spot.

Bernard said...

I have been fascinated by that chain archway for months and months. I thought "it must be plastic, it would be far too heavy if it were real".
I have seen chain welded up before but not quite as attractive as yours is.
A gem. (from an engineers point of view)
Glad you had a good time.