Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mellowing Out

Jon and Bob headed for the beach without delay. They are both very pale, computer nerds who barely see the light of day when they’re home. They took their pasty bodies and some SPF 450 lotion, and wore sunglasses so they wouldn’t blind each other with the glare. Jon was in charge of beach photos. I haven’t seen any yet. Maybe they were overexposed.

I stayed on the lanai in the shade for a while. Last time I was here it was July, and I swear the air felt exactly the same: about 85°, a gentle warm, soft breeze. The air itself is soft. How does that happen? Lots of positive ions from the waves?

I could see the rooftops below and the bougainvillea plants blooming on them. I guess my plant at home has good instincts, poor thing.

The Cap'n, exhausted from spending the entire plane trip cramped in my purse, decided to take a nap. So I went shopping by myself.


The hotel is right next to the International Market­place. It’s a large area a block deep, with many small shops under a huge banyan tree. The shops all sell the same stuff, and a lot of it is junk, but it’s fun.


There are many expensive shops in this area also, but there’s nothing I need from them. I need junk, preferably small junk that will fit easily in my suitcase. I’m not a great shopper like my friend Debbie. She buys a new suitcase when she gets to her destination so she can fill it with stuff.

I found lots of little souvenirs and a good place to eat dinner. This is what I ordered: Salmon Salad.


It was an outdoor restaurant and there were lots of pigeons and tiny doves padding around on the floor looking for stray tidbits. I love pigeons and doves and planned to feed them the corn that came with the salad. But there was a big sign that said “Do Not Feed the Birds.” I wasn’t bold enough to just ignore the sign, so I cut the corn off the ear and when I was sure no one was looking, casually pushed it down the little hole you see above, in the middle of the table. It didn’t take a pigeon too long to find it.


There was another sign at the restaurant. The spelling wasn’t great, but the food was.

No comments: