Monday, November 2, 2009

Horses are an attractive nuisance

I didn’t manage to get all the chores done. A neighborhood lady showed up with her 2 daughters to ask if one could work with the horses. The older daughter has joined a 4-H horse project.

I love 4-H kids.

But I don’t think this is going to work.

The girls are very exuberant and weren’t listening well. The gate to the pasture is a major concern because we’re so close to a very busy highway used by dudes who don’t understand that a loose horse won’t get out of the road if you honk your horn. Gate protocol is extremely important.

The mom, who is a total sweetheart, is alas, not a horse person. She said the daughter will be taking lessons, but she’s only been signed up for 4 because they’re expensive. And she has only been allowed to ride in a small pen. Could she ride my horses instead?

This was asked as the daughter was attempting to put a halter on Blue Top backwards.

“Uh, no.” I answered. And went on to explain why. You know how it is when you don’t even know enough about a topic to understand what kind of trouble you can get into? That was my communication problem.

So, the kids can brush the horses when I’m there. Period.

These kids would be great in a rabbit project.

3 comments:

Bernard said...

Are your horses for riding then?
I thought I remember reading somewhere that you had given up.
I thought you may have them for keeping the grass short.
Cheers.....Bernard
PS I know nothing about horses except that they eat grass and provide excellent fertiliser for my roses!

Katherine Plumer said...

Good decision! I'm sure they'll enjoy the brushing! It's probably best that I didn't bring Dusty over here this fall anyway, it's looking like there won't be time for me to head up to J's for more than a day or two anyway.

Jan Blawat said...

Blue Top is 24 yrs old. He was never trained particularly well, but it isn't in his nature to cause problems. He's not ridden anymore because he's lame. It doesn't affect him when he's just carrying himself around.

Dusty is 14 and though he doesn't have a mean bone in his body, his brain is often somewhere else. He definitely takes an experienced rider.

I don't ride anymore. Some days I feel like I could, but then I thought I could ride the bicycle, too. At any rate, riding for me is not just plodding around a ring, it's loading the horse in the trailer and heading for the mountains or some other place where you can do 20 miles. It takes a lot of conditioning for the horse and rider, it's not something you just do when you have a whim.

A big problem now is I still have the trailer, but nothing to pull it with. And if I had to dismount on the trail, I wouldn't get very far leading the horse.

And the BIG problem with having other people, especially little kids, ride the horses is that it's a lot easier for them to get hurt than they realize. Even on a very gentle old horse. It's hard enough with a kid who pays attention. As you know, Bernard, we all grew up in a time when there were more opportunities to learn about cause and effect. Nowadays kids are often so protected from everything, they don't begin to understand WHY they need to be careful, and so they may be on the lookout for bad guys, but they don't know that if your foot is in the wrong place, a horse can break your toes.

Katherine - It's probably prettier up at J's right now, but there sure aren't many daylight hours in November. May would be a good month.