So I have a 3 foot tall fake tree, some lights on the mantle, and lots of poinsettias. I bought them for work first, and they were enjoyed there until the 23rd. Then I brought them home.

The cats like to pose with them. Or maybe it’s just that the flowers are in places where the cats usually sleep. Whatever.

Charley arranges himself more artfully than George does. Here he is on the bathroom rug.

I also have a few favorite decorations out. Two ceramic pieces made by Aunt Shirley.

A needlework made by Sarah long ago.

This lovely wreath (?) made by Bob in 3rd grade.

And this ancient, tattered Santa that has been through at least 50 Christmases in this house. The price tag on the back says 39 cents.

I decorated the cat's hidey box in the dining room so it wouldn't clash with the Christmas decor. I wrapped it and the big banana squash that weights it down in wrapping paper, and added a few fake poinsettias. Martha Stewart isn’t the only talented decorator around!

I have lots of wonderful ornaments, including some hand-blown ones that were in Aunt Bea’s family and some from John’s family. They are safely stored away, too delicate to decorate a tree in a house full of cats that love toys. I used to cut a branch from the blue spruce and nail it high on the wall, out of reach of the little boy and the cats. In my old living room with the 45 year old carpet and the 4 peeling layers of wallpaper, I didn’t care if sap ran down the walls. But then I had the room remodeled.
It’s OK. I have notes tucked away with the old ornaments that tell their history. And every ornament that anyone ever gave Bob has a tag on it with the date and who it's from. The little boy is all grown up now. He will have his own family some day and he can tell his kids about the old things. And his wife can worry about pounding holes in the walls.
3 comments:
I'm glad to hear that all the trees remain firmly rooted in the ground.
In fact I wouldn't mind betting that they look far more attractive where they, and maybe decorated with snow, than wilting in your heated lounge.
You take lovely pictures of you cats, getting them to sit just where you want them.
I bought my friend a poinsettia just before Christmas, but her cat will insist on chewing it!
No matter where she puts it, the cat jumps up and chews it. It is now in the bathroom with the door shut! Such a shame....I hope they are no poisonous?
Very best wishes for the New Year,
Bernard.
No snow here, but the trees will be decorated with birds building nests in them in the spring. The goldfinches especially appreciate them. My cats don't eat the poinsettias. I give them some celery leaves once in a while and they like those, I guess they don't need any other greens. Or reds.
I've decided for New Year's that I'll let George out the back door, he'll run around the house, and I'll let him back in the front door. Will that work to satisfy the door custom? If not, I'll make Bob do it.
love the photos!
Post a Comment