Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Rest of the Story


I’ve been scanning old photos again, and found some others with Bob and Tammy Faye. It wasn’t hard to get the Thanksgiving Day dinner photo of them, they were good buddies. Bob spent a lot of time in the chicken pen when he was little, and Tammy Faye was his favorite. He’d hug her, and kiss her warty head.

For Thanksgiving that year, we got the picnic table ready with dishes, wineglasses, and a bouquet. I put a little canned dog food in a small bowl to keep Tammy occupied.


It wasn’t really necessary, she always stuck close to the boy. I tried a couple of shots before I got one I liked, here are some others.



The only problem I had was keeping the boy out of the dog food. He was more fond of dog biscuits but he’d chow down canned food too, if you didn’t watch him.

2 comments:

Bernard said...

Are turkeys safe with children? I mean with all this safety nonsense around.....! We were always told as children "Not to get too close in case you got pecked in the eye".
They could be 'safe as houses' for I actually knew.
Really nice photos. I've shown them to all my friends here. Thanks.

Jan Blawat said...

A whole herd of turkeys can be intimidating, they'll surround you with their feathers all ruffled. We've had two female turkeys over the years, one at a time, and they were the sweetest things. They'd sit on your knee for hours to get their heads and necks scratched. Most poultry, even a mean rooster, will go after your feet, but a suppose a kid's eye would be in their range. We were always taught the right way to handle animals, equipment, and situations and that kept us safe. That's what I did with Bob. I mean, what good are a helmet and knee pads on a kid who doesn't know anything? I was lucky Bob is naturally cautious. My brother, when he was growing up, preferred to learn everything the hard way. (And now that he's old, he's pretty smart.)