Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fugly Day

While I was at Jury Dooty all day, trying hard not to snore, there was mayhem in the Pigeon Inn.

I just did a pigeon census 2 days ago and determined there were 20 pigeons in the pen. There should be 23 plus 5 babies. One of the missing was little Dot, the Taganrog I raised by hand. She must have returned near dark though because today Bob found her dead in the pen.

He also found the killer, a sharp-shinned hawk. We don't know how long it was in the pigeon pen, long enough to kill the little pigeon and scare the rest out of their wits. It had to maneuver through a 4 inch gap to get in there. When I went out to count, the birds were very subdued. There are only 11 adults in the pen tonight. It's not dark yet, maybe the others will sneak in later. Then I'll lock the exit door and keep them all in for a couple of months.

The 5 babies are still OK, but the parents of 2 are missing. I tube fed the babies tonight. If the parents are not back by tomorrow, I'll have to bring them in.

I don't dislike the hawk. Possibly it's the young one Bob caught in the chicken pen earlier this year, looking for dinner again as it passes through on its migratory route. I just wish it wouldn't have chosen the one out of 23 pigeons that was my favorite.

1 comment:

Jane and Chris said...

Aaah, sorry. One of my hand raised ,'Geordy', was chomped by a hawk his first week out.
Jane x