Sunday, May 24, 2009

Something Bright and Orange

My computer is in a corner of the dining room where I can see all of the front yard. It’s like the command center, and I love it. This is where I first see new birds, I can watch the horses in the pasture, and even though I’ve let the trees grow to block the view of the road, I can still see what’s going on out there.

This has been a lovely morning. A really fat little hummingbird is buzzing around the geranium that's growing up into the camellia bush in front of the window. There is some kind of new bird out there that is a real shrieker. No way you could call that sound a “song.” I’ll have to investigate that.

Then suddenly I see a flash of orange. What’s that? An oriole? I love orioles and the mulberries are ripe, it could be an oriole.

Maybe it’s just the tree rose.


Nope, it’s something out by the highway.


Oh. It’s the bad boys out picking up trash on this lovely day.


For those of you in England (my one follower from there), the bad boys are fellows who have broken a minor law or two and serve part of their sentence by doing public service. In this case, they’re out picking up trash along the roadway. OK, they're orange, but maybe not so bright. There are sheriffs in charge of them and they’re followed by a white van that pulls 2 porta potties on a trailer. Why 2? Because sometimes there are bad girls on the crew also.

This is the road crew, California-style. Things may still be a bit more rugged in Texas and Alabama, like you’d see in an old Paul Newman movie.

3 comments:

Bernard said...

I hope you don't mind me popping in all the time but your postings are so interesting.
You said "I love orioles and the mulberries are ripe"
This is interesting because I have two mulberry trees, a black (morus nigra)and a white (morus alba).
Here the little fruit are no larger than a pea.....so you must be months ahead of us here in England?
Amazing....
Cheers.....Bernard

Jan Blawat said...

I don't mind at all, your comments are delightful. My area in California has a Mediterranean climate. The grass is already drying, the oat hay is being baled. I have a couple of nice green tomatoes on the vine, and the birds are enjoying the mulberries. I don't know which species of mulberry I have, the birds planted it for their own use. Do the terms "black" and "white" refer to the fruit on your trees? The fruit on mine is black. Sort of bluish, black. At least that's what it looks like after it's gone through the bird and onto my car.

Bernard said...

Thanks Jan,
Mediterranean climate...lucky you.
Yes, the black/white refer to the fruit...the white ones are not really white, they just remain green. This is quite useful, as the birds go for the ripe ones on the black tree and leave the juicy green ones for me.
And you have tomatoes already?
You can see how far behind mine are on a post I did here:-

http://monkey-organ.blogspot.com/2009/05/if-music-be-food.html

California..sounds great. My only connection is red wine!...oh yes and songs....lots of songs about California.
I like your flower pictures as I can compare different types of plants from many miles away with my own garden. I have masses of roses at the moment.
Cheers......Bernard