Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tubby Doves


I finally got a picture of the pair of big bazoomba doves that hang around the feeder. I think they’re Eurasian Collared doves. They’re sort of like Turtle Doves, but these are definitely bigger. When they’re in the feeder with pigeons, they’re the same size. This is the second year I’ve seen them here. I hope they make it through dove season. (Why would anyone shoot a dove? Does that make sense to you? What kind of tragedy would it be to have too many doves in the world?)

3 comments:

Bernard said...

Yes, here in England they are known as Collared Doves and are now very common. I have counted as many as twelve at a time in my garden. They have also nested several times in various apple trees.
What an unusual name you have for them.....a new one on me.
Cheers......Bernard

Jan Blawat said...

Thank you for the information. We have native doves in abundance, they're smaller-bodied and their tails are longer. When the tubby ones started coming to the feeder I was really puzzled. They were the right color and sounded right, but were the size and shape of our pigeons. I'm not sure where they're nesting near the yard, but I hope they stay as close to the yard as possible. When dove season starts, the hunters won't bother to notice the difference.

Bernard said...

Hi Jan,
As I read your blog this morning, there is one on my chimney now..the coo, coo, coooo, comes down the flue and it actually sounds as if he is in the room with me.
Last year, one fell down the front room chimney which is boarded up!
I couldn't leave it there to die in the dark, so I managed to cut a hole large enough for it to get out. Of course the cats thought this was great fun!
So....what I did was place my cat-basket (with the door open) over the hole I had made. Got the cats out of the room, shut the door and waited. Came back an hour later and there he/she was inside the cat-basket.
After seeing it fly off I thought... I bet you wont do that again!!
Cheers........Bernard