
I came home to find that pigeons had flown in and were holding a convention in the corn maze field. There were at least 400 attending.

The Corn Stand has hosted lots of new activities this year, none as successful as this.
It was catered, too. Remember, the corn maze was knocked down by a strong wind? The guys ran a harvester through the field and managed to make silage out of it, but a lot of corn was left in the field.

There was another surprise awaiting me. Lots of tubby doves!

I have never seen more than 2, but I counted 11 at the edge of the pigeon-filled field. I don’t know if they are offspring of the original pair (which would make sense) or out-of-town relatives visiting for the convention.
2 comments:
The 'Tubby Doves' do reproduce very quickly. I have counted as many as fourteen in my garden this week.
Of course it may be the 'porridge oats' that I throw out that encourages them?
They lay their eggs on just a few twigs spread across branches...not a proper nest at all. I am always finding them lying on the grass under the trees.
They look a bit like our "Collared Doves" no doubt close relatives.Fantails make a sticky nest, very messy.
Post a Comment