Thursday, November 5, 2009

Say Hi to Backyard Snake


This one isn't as colorful as the frontyard snake, and it's much bigger - about 24 inches. Not that I reached down there with a measuring tape and measured it. It looks a lot like a rattlesnake at first glance, that's a minus. A snake can get whopped if it looks like a rattlesnake. Not by me, I run (OK, hobble briskly) away first and ask questions later, through a zoom lens.

I'm hoping this gopher snake likes to munch mice. Trudy the peahen and the 3 large Dominiques were all good mousers, but they're gone to other homes now.

3 comments:

Katherine Plumer said...

Wow, that's a substantial looking snake! I've seen a few (or maybe all the same one in various locations) gopher snakes around, mostly about 15 inches long. I'm always sure to take a good look at the tail!

Bernard said...

I've found a use for rattle snakes.
(See my Saturday post)

Jan Blawat said...

Katherine
I've seen them pretty big around here, maybe 48 inches. They mostly live on the creek levee, which is good because we don't want gophers there. When they're mad, they don't coil, they whip around like a live electric wire. Very spooky, a dog or a horse won't go near it. Well, or me either. I always check the tail first, then the head, but by then you can tell by the attitude it's not a rattler.