Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bon Voyage Party


A few weeks ago I told you about Chris and Louise and their plans to take off and live on their boat. I went to their bon voyage party because I really wanted to see them "one last time." I know the Earth is round, but in my mind if you go sailing out across the ocean far enough, you're likely to fall off the edge.

The other partygoers seemed to be split; half being afraid of the ocean like I am and the other half excited by it. Some of them had already done what Chris and Louise are doing. That made me feel better.

Here is the boat. It's 32 feet long.




 To give a better perspective, here's the door with someone trying to climb out of it.


Here is the inside of the boat.


It's like a travel trailer except it has a lot of added safety equipment, like a super duper radio and a device that uses solar power to turn sea water into drinking water. I could stay in it for a couple of nights maybe, if it was tied to a dock in San Diego. I had just about convinced myself this could be a wonderful thing, sailing along the coast and coming in at night to anchor in a safe harbor and sleep.

But that's not the plan. Chris and Louise are going to sail south, well out on the ocean away from land and the shipping lanes. They will dock at a couple of places. After they visit friends in Mexico they'll turn west and head off across the vast Pacific.

I know they'll be fine, they've had more than 15 years to learn how to do this and make their plans. When they come back around to Northern California again, fit and tan, the rest of us will take a van from our assisted living homes and meet them at the dock for a welcome back party. Then we'll turn up our hearing aids so we won't miss out on all the details from their adventures.

Captain Chris
First Mate Louise









5 comments:

Bernard said...

Just what I've always dreamed of doing.....but boats are so expensive. And besides, Wesley wants his supper!

Jane and Chris said...

I'd live on the boat in a pretty harbour somewhere and have a bon voyage party every week...that would do me!
Jane x

Helsie said...

I'm with you, it sounds quite terrifying to me. I wish them a safe trip.
Cheers

Practical Parsimony said...

That is way too cramped for me for that long time. However, I do admire people who do these magnificent voyages. They will have stories to tell and I can reminisce about my hens...lol...nothing exotic.

They look happy and excited.

Terry and Linda said...

Extremely tight quarters, I think I might get tired of myself. Still all and all what an exciting thing for the both of them!!!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com