Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Urban Pony


Before you go any further, this is NOT me. She's a urban cowgirl in San Francisco. April Ellis makes fake ponies out of old electric wheelchair parts. There is an article about her in the SF Chronicle here.

My friend Mitzi's birthday is this week, and I thought she might enjoy this.

When we were kids, Mitzi and I used to make stick horses out of old broomsticks. We'd stuff a sock for the head and make manes out of shredded fabric. I don't remember how we made the faces. My favorite stick horse was a gray sock with a black mane.

In later years, we horse crazy girls were fortunate to each have a great REAL horse that we rode on trails over half of California.

I'm inspired by April's pony. This is something we can do when we're old(er) and decrepit(er) and need motorized wheelchairs. I think Mitzi and I could design much better horses. Mine would be bay, of course, with a big blaze face and huge ears. I'm sure Mitzi's would be black.

Happy birthday this week also to Kyle, Alex, and Amanda.

8 comments:

Helsie said...

Excellent! Hope they don't buck !

Helsie said...

PS. Make mine a steel grey dapple

Practical Parsimony said...

Do you think when we are that old and decrepit we will remember to hold on or balance? That thing looks like it needs a safety belt...lol. I must say that having a horse was not a little girl ambition of mine. They scare me. However, that is a love of little girls. I am glad you got your horse and enjoyed it. I did think that was you.

Nancy said...

I have fond memories of your stick horses. I thought they were beautiful and so fun to play with!

Terry and Linda said...

Love your cat photos! The whiskers in the sun one is really cute! Your Goat is neat also. I enjoy Misty's two. They love me...I feed them graham crackers!

Make mine a pinto please!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Mitzi said...

Thanks for the Birthday wishes!
I have survived another birthday.

That is one ugly stick pony that lady made with the wheel chair! yuk.

Ours were ever so much prettier - not that I am prejudice or would show favoritism.

I used to paint my sock stick ponies. Used left over house paint at the time. Mixed the colors to be more horsey like. I had bays, palominos (I painted one to look like Trigger) and pintos. Always lots of various paint cans around from Dad's projects (he never threw anything away).

Funny little ears that I attached made from 100% genuine naugahyde. Ears were always brown, no matter what color my steed was. Mine had fabric manes and some with yarn. Lots of odds supplies to make from Mom's craft stuff.

Bridles and reins made from Peanut's (family dog) leash. She never was on leash anyway.

Had a whole stable of them.....stable being inside the garage in a big wooden box where they stayed in their "stall", patiently awaiting the next wild ride around the back yard or down the driveway.

Ah, the good ol' days...and even better, we can still remember them!
Mitzi

Yorkshire Pudding said...

It could take off as a new Olympic sport - horsehead motorized wheelchair racing for the elderly. You could practise on Lombard Street in San Francisco! Personally, I'd prefer a crocodilian vehicle just to scare the girls.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.