Wednesday, July 11, 2012

California Beer

Wine snobbery, something that is common in California, is now making its way to the beer world as well. Bob's 4th of July party was a "bring your own" affair. Devin brought a unique bottle of beer, encased as a single bottle in a box.



These words are simply recycled from a wine label, I think. I don't drink beer. Would you try this? It sounds like fruit stew, cooked in sugar, or juice left over from a smoothie.


The party was nice. I always enjoy seeing Bob's friends. Here's one we haven't seen in a while:

Julie and Bob
Julie and Bob have known each other since Bob was 2 and Julie was 1. I doubt they remember those days, but I do. Later, they both played flute in the elementary school band. The district had a really enthusiastic music teacher who was great with the kids. I remember one afternoon when Julie and Bob decided to play "Happy Birthday" on their flutes for a friend's party. They had no sheet music, so like Lennon and McCartney, they conspired and figured out the notes themselves. It seemed like the band had a surplus of flute players. That's probably because that was the cheapest instrument. Another thing I remember about the music days is little Julie always knocking over the music stands when she sat down.   


When Bob transferred to the Waldorf school in 5th grade, he switched to a more "manly" saxophone. Waldorf had a good strings program, but kids who played wind instruments had to take private lessons. That sucked. We had a hard time finding a music teacher. The one we ended up with was disgustingly irresponsible. He wouldn't show up half the time and when he did he never remembered what had transpired at the previous lesson. It's hard to get a kid to practice when he knows the teacher will forget the assignment anyway. The teacher at the elementary school had kept the kids on their toes by handing them really hard music to play (like Darth Vader's theme) two weeks before a concert.  


Both the flute and the saxophone are still in the hall closet. Why do kids give up music when they get older? Instead of playing beer pong, they could be playing those songs we had to listen to them practice, over and over again.


Next time Bob has a party, I'll suggest that right under BYOB he adds, BYOMI - "Bring your own musical instrument."




5 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

I don't like beer unless it's in cooking.
Jane x

Anonymous said...

Actually, Belgian makes really good fruit based beers, that are regional and only available at certain times of the year.

I am not a beer drinker (like not at all) or fan, but the fruit based beer I had in Brussels was quite yummy and refreshing. Didn't have a big glass of it or I would have been on the floor, giggling (very cheap drunk). I think it was black cherry based....was a long time ago.

Mitzi

Practical Parsimony said...

I went to a party where the dining room held a piano, drum set and the walls were lined with instruments. People could get a shaker or castanets or sticks if they played no instrument. Later, in the garden I met a man carrying a flute or something long and windy. I remarked that he must have like that instrument of the hostess. He said, no that he owned the instrument and was not putting it down. He played in NYC. Half the party guests were musicians. Half of the musicians were from NYC.

When I had a Christmas party just a few years ago, everyone was expected to entertain us in some way. There came people bearing instruments, poems to read, poems memorized, singers singing songs....wonderful entertainment. I do not play any instrument, but I remember being barely able to play the piano.

Terry and Linda said...

Then there is Bacon of the Month Club....now that is something I would enjoy. BUT the price of it is shocking!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

That the beer is called barleywine ale is entirely the doing of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms -- the much beloved, absolutely indispensable BATF. How could our shining republic endure without their efforts?

When Fritz Maytag, the washing machine heir and brewer of Anchor Steam Beer, wanted to make an extra-strong ale back in the late '70s (I think), BATF flatly refused to allow it for a couple years. But he had the money and moxie to persevere, and eventually they relented -- but what to call it? Bureaucratic crisis! Beer, ale, and malt liquor all have specified ranges of permissible alcoholic content, and our Fritz's stuff was stronger than any of the allowable malt-beverage categories. Only wine could have the desired alcoholic content. So it went on the market as "Barley Wine Style Ale."

Carol Rossi and others can sell metric gallons of alleged wine ranging from roughly 8.5 to 12 percent alcohol, but the idea of a malt beverage being offered with a comparable alcohol content was apparently perceived as a threat to the public morals. Maytag had to sell it in 6 oz. bottles.

Apparently BATF has liberalized their position sufficiently in a third of a century that the word "style" is no longer required.

Despite the ridiculous description, the stuff is really pretty good -- at least Anchor's version was/is -- it's the only one I've had. Heavy like Guinness but not nearly so bitter, and enough alcohol that it goes down warm.

All that notes of overripe kumquats, toasted basmati rice and racing fuel methanol is as absurd as ever. Remember the classic New Yorker cartoon of a hostess presenting a red wine to her guests and declaring, "It's a naive domestic red, but I think you'll be amused by its presumption."

Ken B